Stephen King's Reviews > Wolf Hall / Bring Up the Bodies

Wolf Hall / Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

Together they form one long novel (with a third to follow) about the life of Thomas Cromwell, King Henry VIII’s political and financial adviser. Mantel takes a -figure history has cast as a calculating villain and throws a warm glow over his family, his motives, and his implacable resolve. The language is rich, and the scenes leading to Anne Boleyn’s execution are unforgettable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Hall / Bring Up the Bodies.

Started Reading
January 1, 2013 – Finished Reading
January 31, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn About to start this one as a book club with the Wall Street Journal.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin I am working my way through Wolf Hall. Love it so far.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I'm intrigued. I am morbidly fascinated with Henry VIII's excursions and all who surrounded him. The best thing he did, was form the Church Of England. And provide excellent material for and HBO series.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Both of these are great. I'm not a big fan of historical fiction but I was drawn in. She has a very unique writing style that I really enjoyed.

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Andersonn Really enjoyed these two. Very well written.

Susan (the other Susan) I'm intrigued, challenged and only slightly creeped-out by the notion that there can be a warm glow around Thomas Cromwell. Yikes.

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg If Stephen King can read these books, then they are good enough for me!

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hilary Mantel is tops as a writer.

message 9: by Jan Funnell (new)

Jan Funnell I could not get on with the style of writing in either of Mantel's books. I think the stories would have been better were we not hearing them from inside Cromwell's mind.

Laurie Taylor Q

Lorraine I couldnt get into Wolf Hall as I found the narrative slow and confusing, but Bring Up The Bodies was really good.

message 12: by Grant (new)

Grant I've tried with this and find it difficult to get into. I'll revisit it to try again.

message 13: by Donna Waggott (new)

Donna Waggott If Stephen king likes it I will try it, love the Tudor period

message 14: by Dylan (new)

Dylan King George is an interesting person to learn about and read about. I will check out this book. Thank you for your review.

Herman Casuabon Hilary Mantel is unique and a prolific writer. Her literary prowess is unparalleled

message 16: by Britany (new)

Britany ifnd6nghfg

message 17: by Fergus (new) - added it

Fergus Wonderful! It takes a great writer only a few words to sum up what makes a book great, and do it well - Mantel's book IS truly that - and this review as well. Thank you so much.