Dick's Reviews > Tunnels

Tunnels by Roderick Gordon

M 50x66

liked it

Like City of Ember this is another underground dystopia story. The main character is Will Burroughs, a young adolescent boy who lives in London with his a dysfunctional family: an aloof, absent-minded archeologist father, a distant depressed mother, and a hostile older teenage sister. Will takes after his father with a keen interest in excavation. He helps with his father's "digs" and conducts his own assisted by his friend Chester. The father is the curator of a local museum which gives him access to maps of old tunnel systems of the London Underground system and by digging into the old tunnels Will and his father discover and are taken prisoner by a whole underworld living below London. The underworld is called The Colony and it's an authoritarian dystopia that's as familiar as any that's ruled human history on the surface of the earth. The rationale for it's continued existence is not particularly well explained, and I found the story somewhat tedious. To add to my dissatisfaction the story doesn't resolve, but ends with Will, his father, and friend Chester escaping into the empty tunnels below the colony requiring a sequel to resolve this big bugger. This is definitely for the die-hard fantasy reading middle school boy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tunnels.

Finished Reading
January 8, 2010 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Suzanne Great review! I never had the pleasure to know you as a writer... I look forward to reading further reviews.
I feel like I don't need to read this one, but I do know to whom I can recommend it.

Jenny Darden Overall, I agree with your review. However, Rebecca, the sister, was actually twelve, two years younger than Will. In my mind, this was the only really interesting twist in the story, so I thought it deserved to be mentioned.