Annet's Reviews > Annihilation

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

liked it
bookshelves: apocalyptic, dark, weird

Need to think about this one. Mixed feelings about it... still haven't made my mind up completely. but no doubt the story is exceptional...
Really intriguing, weird story, kind of a hallucination.
I liked the story concept and you keep reading, wondering what the .... is going on and how it will all end... but I did not particularly love it. Vague happenings, flat characters, and for me pages of contemplations that were not always engaging.
Still, an exceptional, creepy storyline that makes you keep on reading.
To tell a lot about it would soon end in spoiling. Not sure yet if I will read the sequels in this trilogy, but then again... how will it continue? that is the attraction of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annihilation.

January 30, 2014 – Shelved
January 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 30, 2015 – Started Reading
May 30, 2015 –
0.0% "Starting 1 June probably, in a team read!"
May 31, 2015 –
page 28
14.36% "Started on the first chapter. It's unsettling, the beginning of this story..."
May 31, 2015 –
page 195
June 6, 2015 – Finished Reading
August 20, 2016 – Shelved as: dark
August 20, 2016 – Shelved as: weird

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Caro the Helmet Lady It's definitely getting very close on to-read list for me. ;)

Annet mixed feelings about it... still haven't made my mind up completely. but no doubt the story is exceptional...try it, I'm interested to know how you experience it.

Caro the Helmet Lady I surely will. :)

Jennifer It is like a waking dream you cannot get out of.

Lynn While I loved this particular book, those very problems you pointed became bigger and bigger obstacles that I just stopped reading the 2nd book and tried to jump into the 3rd to just finish it . No luck there either .

Annet Thanks Lynn, when I saw several reactions coming in, this book came back to me (read it in 2015) and I was actually considering taking up book 2... but not sure. Book one still haunts me as in, 'what the .... is going on here....' intriguing and pretty vague. So many good books, so little time. Thanks for your input, I think I will postpone this specific reading expedition for now...

Annet afterword: this story was so weird and honestly not really to my liking, but I keep thinking I need to read the sequels. Should I?....

message 8: by Susu (new)

Susu Lol Annet, I scrolled through the comments to see if you read the second one. It’s hard for me to read books which do not have at least one character I like. If the characters are flat the idk about this. Thanks for your review!

message 9: by Annet (last edited Jul 08, 2018 12:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annet Hi Susu, haven't read the sequel yet :-) Two thoughts: 1. Not my cup of tea, so not to be continued, life is too short to read books that are not to your absolute liking.... 2. Intriguing... let's try the second one. Maybe I should issue a poll, shall I read the second one yes or no? :-)))

message 10: by Karl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karl -- I really enjoyed the first book in the series, for me at least the second book was not up to par, so I for one would not encourage you to solder on reading the series, however, I would ask you to re-think your opinion of the first book. (how's that for casting a vote) --

Annet Let me sleep on it Karl :-) Thanks for your advice. I gotta find book one somewhere in da house anyway. Where is it? :-) Among so many other books.....

message 12: by Karl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karl Annet wrote: "Let me sleep on it Karl :-) Thanks for your advice. I gotta find book one somewhere in da house anyway. Where is it? :-) Among so many other books....."

-- I approve of "so many other books" .. cheers to you ! --

Annet :-) I don't know where to put my books anymore. Fortunately I have a big attic where I installed a big book case across the wall :)

message 14: by Karl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karl Annet wrote: ":-) I don't know where to put my books anymore. Fortunately I have a big attic where I installed a big book case across the wall :)"

-- Kind if like a 'go-to' treasure trove of future excitement. --

message 15: by Caro (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caro the Helmet Lady Annet wrote: ":-) I don't know where to put my books anymore. Fortunately I have a big attic where I installed a big book case across the wall :)"

E-books, Annet, it's a salvation!

Annet Karl wrote: "Annet wrote: ":-) I don't know where to put my books anymore. Fortunately I have a big attic where I installed a big book case across the wall :)"

-- Kind if like a 'go-to' treasure trove of futur..."
Indeed :)

Annet Caro wrote: "Annet wrote: ":-) I don't know where to put my books anymore. Fortunately I have a big attic where I installed a big book case across the wall :)"

E-books, Annet, it's a salvation!"
I like my books in paper :)

message 18: by Caro (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caro the Helmet Lady Annet wrote: "I like my books in paper :) "

So do I, but sometimes it's the only way I can get them...