Karah's Reviews > Light on Snow

Light on Snow by Anita Shreve

Jan 07, 2010

liked it
Read in January, 2010

I grabbed this book from the library right before we left to see my parents over Christmas. Honestly, it only caught my attention because of the title and the type of winter we're having right now (snow, snow, and more snow).

The book takes place in New England where a man and his daughter live on the outskirts of a rural town, nestled in the woods. They moved there after his wife and youngest daughter were killed in a car accident--mostly so he could hide out and retreat from the world. All seems to be well until he and his daughter find a new born baby left out in the woods on a particularly cold winter afternoon. From there on, the life of he and his daughter change dramatically.

The story is told from the 12 year old daughter's viewpoint--and I think the author does a great job of keeping that realistic yet readable. The plot is interesting but seems like it doesn't really climax until late in the book. I wish that the climax would have been sooner and we would've seen more resolution with the main characters. The author leaves us with a sense of what happened next, but I always appreciate something a little more than my own imagination (that's why I read books--not write them!).

Overall, I enjoyed this book because it was super fast to read over the course of a couple snow days and an interesting storyline. However, some of the scenes regarding the accident with the mother & baby and then the scenes with the infant left in the cold were a little too close to comfort for an 8 month pregnant lady (me) to read right now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light on Snow.