Sarah Potter's Reviews > Saxon's Bane

Saxon's Bane by Geoffrey Gudgion

A superb debut novel by a master storyteller. It's always so exciting to stumble across new talent and know you've found an author whose novels you will always rush to buy on publication day. Geoffrey Gudgion, I've joined your fast-growing fan club.

"Saxon's Bane" is a story set in a contemporary village, where the extraordinary starts to encroach on the everyday after two happenings in quick succession: the unearthing of a Saxon warrior at an archaeological dig and a nearby car crash that's fatal for the driver and near-fatal for her passenger, the novel's main protagonist, Fergus.

I don't want to give too much away about what ensues, for fear of creating spoilers. The story's main themes are of love, loss, the afterlife, and healing. It's been pigeonholed as fantasy, but it's far broader than that, combining history with mythology with romance with crime with psychology with philosophy. Come to think of it, so do many of the fantasy greats.

Most importantly, it's a very exciting read, of the sneaking-looks-when-you-should-be-working variety. I really cared about three of the central characters and hated the baddie and his cronies (as I was meant to, I'm sure). And I loved the horse, which was also a character most central to Fergus's healing.

So folks, do read this novel. It is so worth it. I am still returning to it in my mind days after reaching the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saxon's Bane.

January 30, 2014 – Started Reading