Janos Honkonen's Reviews > Swarm

Swarm by B.V. Larson

Feb 09, 14

Read from January 29 to February 08, 2014

B. V. Larson is one of those super prolific self publishers that are doing well on Amazon. Swarm is the first book in Star Force series, and it left me massively torn. On one hand, the book was entertaining. It was pretty pure pulp-military-scifi with giant robots and space battles and souped up space marines, and the basic premise of an alien invasion works well.

That was the good part. The bad - well, if I'm buying self published scifi, I'm not expecting to see massively nuanced characterizations and psychological insight, but Jesus - in the first few pages the children of the main character are literally gutted in front of his eyes, and the guy remembers to be torn about it for about 15 minutes, until a sexy coed appears and it's boob staring time. Really. The main character also comes across as the biggest Marty Stu I've seen - a computer science professor in his late 30s who becomes a badass in ground and space combat, and gets to bone the hot coed. Did I mention that anything about women or sex is like it was written by a 16 year old. Thankfully there is little of this as the story progresses.

But damn. In spite of the previous the book was so entertaining that I actually ended up buying the second part of the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swarm.

01/29/2014 marked as: currently-reading