Leah Beecher's Reviews > Goddess of Yesterday

Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline B. Cooney

bookshelves: read-for-homeschooling

I read this book aloud with my 5th and 6th grade daughters as supplement reading for our home school study of Ancient Greece. Let me just say, especially to you homeschoolers,right off the bat, that it deals with the Trojan War, as told in the Iliad. The city of Troy and the Trojan war is a topic of debate of whether is really existed between scholars. However, despite the heavy influence of Greek mythology, it depicts, in a very exciting story, with a great twelve-year-old heroine, what life in ancient Greece was like. As believers in Christ, my husband and I have decided not to exclude books that discuss or even elevate pagan religious beliefs. We choose to use the exposure of another beliefs to talk about our own belief in Christ alone. Being inspired by Greek mythology there is of course lots of attention given to Greek deities. Anaxandra, the awesome heroine all three of us loved, often prays and gets direct inspiration from Medusa. The storyline and plot is very exciting as Anaxandra assumes the identity of several other girls to survive the violent and brutal time that the ancient world was. {All princesses, of course, because let's face it, royalty live much more exciting lives than us commoners!} I will say that the story goes into great detail in the beginning, then, as the last exciting 20 or 30 pages of the book come to a close, there was a very rushed feeling. Choppy situations, as if the author realized that the book was getting too long. Over all however, it was an enjoyable read, even if it did take us almost three months! The proof I have that the book was a success is in the fact that my 5th grader told me she wants to read another Greek Historical Fiction!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess of Yesterday.

January 29, 2014 – Started Reading