April 's Reviews > Masks

Masks by E.C. Blake

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy

I found this an enjoyable fantasy read. The plot is not too surprising (standard "girl is a long way from home"), but I greatly enjoyed the main character's personality. I also really liked the whole concept of a world where people must don masks for their 15th birthday, that the masks had started as a way to tease out treasonous thoughts (kind of reminded me of Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay). But the emperor is corrupted, as emperors in fantasy novels often are, and changes the masks, resulting in many more "unsuccessful maskings," and, believe me, you do not want to be in an unsuccessful masking or be around afterwards. The main character, Mara Holdfast, is the beloved daughter of the chief mask maker. Her masking (this is in the blurb, so I'm not giving anything away here) goes horribly awry. The rest of the book is about what happens to her next, which involve a revolutionary army and wretched coal mines. I thought the book's pacing was OK, but there were a few questions that were left unanswered (I assume for the 2nd book reveal) that frustrated me. Still, I will look forward to the second installment by E.C. Blake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masks.

Finished Reading