Katrina Southern's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Jan 29, 2014

bookshelves: favorites

This book is just a wonder. Beautifully crafted and very, very original. I have certainly never read anything like it and probably never will. 'The Book Thief' centres around the life of a young German girl, Liesel, during Hitler's reign, narrated by Death. It illustrates beautifully the huge tragedy of the era, as well as being a wonderful coming of age story for our main character as the real world's events drag her kicking and screaming from the innocence of youth.

Markus Zusak has done a fantastic job. His writing is poetic and the constant imagery this book throws at you is so detailed that you can't help but picture every horror and happiness vividly in your mind's eye. Death is a strange but clever choice of narrator, and I found his perspective both entertaining and enlightening in this case. Liesel as a character is just wonderful and I could not get enough of her story, and those of the characters she meets. I cared about each and every one. The end of the book will make you cry, because you realise that even though it was unpredictable, it was strangely inevitable. The circumstances of the country at the time meant that it could not have been prevented.

I would happily read this one again and again, it is definitely one of my all time favourite books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes Katrina Liked

Markus Zusak
“I am haunted by humans.”
Markus Zusak, The Book Thief