Katrina Southern's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Jan 29, 2014

bookshelves: favorites

Patrick Rothfuss' 'The Name Of The Wind' is a fine example of a how a Fantasy novel should be written. We start by meeting a man named Kote, seemingly an ordinary and unimportant bartender. We quickly learn however, that his real name is Kvothe and he is certainly not ordinary. His past life is filled with adventure, magic and danger and the time has come to tell his story.

I was gripped with this novel, from beginning to end. Rothfuss' writing style is fantastic, and his world well imagined. I always find myself most impressed by books in which the world they are set in has either been well studied (if a real world setting) or well planned (if a Fantasy world, such as this). This is one such example. The amount of detail and thought that the author has put into this story is mind-blowing and I am in awe at how masterfully I was sucked into this imaginary land and yearned to know more about it.

Inevitably in epic books like this, you meet a lot of characters and I have often found them difficult to remember or keep track of if they are not written in the right way. That was not the case here. The book takes you through quite a portion of Kvothe's life and yet I found it easy to keep track of his encounters and follow the story-line. The lead character is very likeable and so far I haven't found him in the least bit irritating. His supporting characters are just as intriguing and I cannot wait to read the next in the series o find out more about them and meet the countless more that Rothfuss no doubt has lined up for us to meet. Masterfully done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

Quotes Katrina Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind