Nikki 's Reviews > Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Unknown

bookshelves: medieval-literature, for-class, arthurian, classics, myth-legend-saga-etc
Read 8 times. Last read February 17, 2010.

This edition is really nice, and useful for very close studies of Sir Gawain -- in fact, probably better if you're studying it or have some competence with Middle English -- because it has the Middle English and a prose translation side by side. The prose translation isn't a wondrous work of art in itself, in my opinion. If I was reading a translation of Sir Gawain for pleasure, I'd want it to be a poetic translation, I think.

Reading it like this, though, especially under the guidance of my lecturer, I got a lot more out of it than I did out of reading a translation of it for pleasure. We had to focus on every word, and it turns out that Sir Gawain is really, really rewarding when you do that. My lecturer says it's one of his favourite works of literature, and I think I might have to agree.

This edition also introduced me to my new favourite word: iisse-ikkles (the Middle English spelling of "icicles"). I'm forever going to use Sir Gawain now in my examples of what is Old, what is Middle, and what is Modern English.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

January 2, 2009 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
May 11, 2009 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
January 7, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
February 17, 2010 – Finished Reading
March 12, 2010 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
March 14, 2010 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
April 10, 2010 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
April 10, 2010 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
July 9, 2010 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
July 10, 2010 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
August 23, 2010 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
August 23, 2010 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
October 6, 2010 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
October 6, 2010 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
September 20, 2012 – Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
September 20, 2012 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
September 21, 2012 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert After ploughing through Langland I feel up to the task of tackling this - must get a copy.

I've read the Tolkien translation a few times and just love the story.

Nikki I want to read the Tolkien translation.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Ted Hughes translated some small parts - they are just amazing.

Nikki I've got Ted Hughes' Complete Poems, I think the translation is in there. I shall have to look at it.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert The Green Chapel section is in there. There's another bit that isn't in there - I think it's in the Selected Translations volume.