Mike's Reviews > Speaker for the Dead

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card

bookshelves: scifi, xcharity-2012
Recommended to Mike by: aggie_mike2003@yahoo.com
Recommended for: all
Read 2 times. Last read April 6, 2012 to April 8, 2012.

5 Star all-time favorite best book. I have no idea why this second reading of Speaker for the Dead was so moving. My previous rating of 3 Stars is now incomprehensible to me. I am not a very emotional person and I have seldom been moved to laughter, tears, heartache or sheer joy while reading but this book did all that. I was mesmerized by the story of Ender, the colonists of Lusitania, the pequininos, Jane, Novinha and the Hive Queen. So very different from Ender's Game and, yet, so perfect a sequel. There are hundreds, if not thousands of reviews on the book. I can add little except note that you will find:

Laughter Grief
Delight Anger
Joy Sorrow
Desire Rejection
Serenity Rage
Elation Desolation

Treat yourself to Ender’s Game and follow up with this one. What a little treasure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speaker for the Dead.

Finished Reading
October 29, 2007 – Shelved
October 29, 2007 – Shelved as: scifi
April 6, 2012 – Started Reading
April 8, 2012 – Finished Reading
June 18, 2012 – Shelved as: xcharity-2012

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Stephen Nice review, Mike. Sums up my feelings exactly. I need to re-read this at some point to do a more expansive review.

Mike Stephen wrote: "Nice review, Mike. Sums up my feelings exactly. I need to re-read this at some point to do a more expansive review."

Thanks Steve, I look forward to your expanded review but your current review got me thinking I had to reread this book to see what I missed. And I had missed a great deal.