Miriam's Reviews > Bleeding Violet

Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, ya

Well, that was a hot mess of crazy overwrought people doing things that made no sense in an entirely implausible setting.

But, I have to admit it was moderately entertaining if you didn't try to think too hard. There was plenty of action and colorful descriptions. Reeves is definitely imaginative (so much so that lots of the ideas were pretty much wasted, which is frustrating to me) and it is always nice to get a book that isn't identical to all the others in its genre.

So, that rating is 2 stars by the goodreads definition: "it was okay". I'd even, with some reservations, possibly recommend this to some older teens looking for a change of pace in their YA fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bleeding Violet.

January 6, 2010 – Shelved
September 23, 2016 – Started Reading
October 12, 2016 –
page 342
75.33% "What morons. How has anyone in this town survived at all?\n\nWish I were closer to the end."
October 23, 2016 –
page 354
77.97% "Wet William seemed interesting. Too bad that was an absolutely pointless abortive scene that ended in a page. \n\nAlso a pity: that all the characters are such idiots. I don't know how they survive monstertown."
October 24, 2016 –
page 364
80.18% "The rate at which our protagonist's stupid is increasing me wonder if this town has water contamination or something."
October 30, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Asghar (new)

Asghar Abbas good prose ?

Miriam I wouldn't say "good" but I've certainly read worse.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) "Reeves is definitely imaginative (so much so that lots of the ideas were pretty much wasted, which is frustrating to me)"

Imagination without the discipline to carry through is such a waste.

Miriam Some scenes seemed like they were only included because the author had a cool idea.

message 5: by Asghar (new)

Asghar Abbas That sounds so horribly bad, I want to read it lol

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Really great review, Miriam.

Miriam Asghar wrote: "That sounds so horribly bad, I want to read it lol"

Yeah, it was kind of bad enough to be fun.

message 8: by Asghar (new)

Asghar Abbas that's the best kind lol sometimes I want to read light, silly stuff

Miriam I prefer silly, light stuff that is also good! If I want to read bad-but-good stuff I tend to get older pulp, like all those over the top adventure stories from 1920s magazines. Roads was pretty fun(ny).

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) There are copies of some of those mags on Gutenberg, such as Black Mask.

Miriam Cool, thanks. Got any favorite pulp authors yourself, Orinoco?

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Well, I do like The Saint's early books, does that qualify? I did download a couple of numbers of Black Mask...much more violent than say Chandler. There's Hammett, is that what you'd call pulp fiction I wonder.

I subscribed to Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine in the mid 70s to early 80s. I remember when the "psychotic killer" became a real thing. Wasn't enough to plot the perfect murder, it had to be morbid.

Miriam Look at this guy wearing green socks with a red tie:

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Not to mention that "hairy Ainu" thing...(yes, I know who the Ainu are/were). I just had a sixth-grade moment. LOL