Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more's Reviews > Archangel's Shadows

Archangel's Shadows by Nalini Singh

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So I know I said that I don't like angels in Urban Fantasy in my last review, but I should have qualified that statement: if the angels are simply winged, humanoid beings without ties to religion (and only called "angels" for lack of a better description), then I like them juuuuust fiiiiiiine. And if they happen to be the angels in Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter books, then I flat-out L-O-V-E them.

Guild Hunter is kind of an odd series. It's part UF, part PNR, and it's kind of a perfect marriage between the two. You've got Elena and Raphael, the MCs for the series overall, but then you've got a handful of books, still continuing the main plot, but focused on other, well-liked secondaries like you find in PNR.

Elena and Raphael still play important roles in those books, and even have the occasional POV shift, but in those other books we get an opportunity to get a deeper look at characters previously viewed from the sidelines.

The first time Singh did this was in book 4, Archangel's Blade, and ever since then, I've been anxiously awaiting this book: the Ash and Janvier book.

Ash and Janvier have been consistently providing moments of hilarity, beginning with the very first installment. Ash was painted as a violent and slightly unbalanced guild hunter, and Janvier, the roguishly handsome and incorrigibly charming vampire she was often hired to hunt. Janvier would lead her on a merry chase, only to get the contract on him nullified within hours of Ash catching up to him:
"You made me traipse through the bayou for weeks," she muttered now. "Then, right when I had you, you made nice with the angel you'd pissed off." It wasn't the first time he'd done that either. "You knew how mad that made me---why did you keep doing it?"

Lifting their clasped hands, he pressed a kiss to her knuckles. "I was courting you."

Like I said--HILARIOUS.

It was obvious that there was more going on with these two, but Ash always held Janvier at a distance. In Archangel's Shadows we find out why. *whispers* And it's goooooood.

The PNR format means that an HEA is inevitable, but if you want to know the ends and outs . . . you're going to have to read it for yourself. All I can say without spoiling it, is that I was impressed with Singh's spin on the (IMO) too often employed "but we can't EVER be together, b/c insert-not-a-reason-here" track.

Ash had a legitimate reason, and Singh's solution was nothing less than brilliant. *tips hat*

I also have a new book to anxiously await.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Naasir stole the spotlight (b/c Janvier *swoon*), but it was close. Between Dimintri's remembrances from Naasir's childhood:
He'd never forget what Naasir had said to him when Dmitri yelled that he didn't intend to bury another child and that Naasir needed to have a care for his life.

"Am I a person, Dmitri? Will you be sad if I die?"

And his obvious feral nature in the present:
"I told Caliane that trying to civilize me is like trying to civilize a jungle cat," Naasir said with a shrug. "We pretend to like people until we get hungry and want fresh meat." A glance around, a glint in his eye. "I honestly do like you all. I haven't thought about eating you for at least two centuries."

I am dying to find out what this wild, yet completely enthralling, beast is.  *grabby hands*

Archangel's Shadows was everything  I wanted it to be. It did justice to two of my favorite characters, making their story worth the wait, and still kept me full of anticipation for the next chapter . . .

Hopefully Naasir's. *winks*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archangel's Shadows.

January 28, 2014 – Shelved
October 20, 2014 – Started Reading
October 20, 2014 –
25.0% "Naasir is my favorite."
October 21, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Anthi so jealous!!!!

Carolina Love the review! This has me salivating for this book!

Anthi Awsome review, can't wait to read the book!!! :)

message 4: by Exina (new)

Exina Fantastic review, Jessica!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Anthi wrote: "so jealous!!!!"

Less than a week! I hope you love it too ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Exina wrote: "Fantastic review, Jessica!"

Anthi wrote: "Awsome review, can't wait to read the book!!! :)"

Carolina wrote: "Love the review! This has me salivating for this book!"

Thanks, ladies!!

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) I really have to get my hands on this series!

message 8: by destini mia (new)

destini mia Love your review, Jessica!!! ♡

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more oOSarahOo wrote: "I really have to get my hands on this series!"

I'm not gonna lie . . . it's kind of awesome ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie wrote: "Love your review, Jessica!!! ♡"

Thank you!

Aly is so frigging bored Nalini said the nest book is with one of the 7 :D Maybe we get Nassir, especially considering his big role in this book...

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more That is what I'm hoping for. Book 8 had one character name listed the last time I looked, but who knows if it's accurate, and even if it is, I have no idea who "Aden" is . . .

Aly is so frigging bored Hmmmm.. I think you have them confused. Aden is the leader of the Arrows from the Psy-Changeling series. He's the hero of book 14 there :)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more I believe you. Like I said--just b/c it's listed:

doesn't mean that it's legit ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more I fixed it. I am drunk with power, LOL. (And by LOL, I mean BWA HA HA.)

Aly is so frigging bored :))))))))))))
I am grateful! And power looks good on you :>