Amy Parker's Reviews > Peacemaker

Peacemaker by Marianne de Pierres

Jan 27, 14

Read in January, 2014

Just to stir up some spoiler-free hype... I've been lucky enough to read the book ahead of publication, and I loved it. As a world-builder, Marianne de Pierres is better than a huge percentage of authors out there - especially when it comes to creating dangerous, ghetto-like areas with violent inhabitants - and Peacemaker is no exception. The author is also really good at avoiding the 'damsel in distress' trope without making her heroines go too far into two-dimensional 'I am strong woman, hear me roar' territory, and the new protagonist, Virgin Jackson, doesn't disappoint in this area.

Fans of the Parrish Plessis series may notice that there are some slight thematic overlaps between that universe and this one, though the two aren't actually connected as far as I noticed. Marianne has gone back to her dystopian-Australia creative roots for this book, and has laced supernatural elements throughout the action/crime-based plot. And let's not forget about the horses, the national park in the middle of a dense urban environment, and the Wild West quarter of the city. Did I mention the horses?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peacemaker.

01/27/2014 marked as: read