Rebecca's Reviews > Erebos

Erebos by Ursula Poznanski

bookshelves: read-2014, library-books, uk, standalone-novel, young-adult-fiction, science-fiction, mystery-suspense-thriller
Recommended for: Gamers and people who enjoyed Ready Player One

Erebos is one of those books that grabs you and doesn’t want to let go. Just like the characters found the game Erebos to be addictive, I got addicted to the book too. It’s a thrilling and exciting ride from beginning to end.

There are a lot of comparisons made between this book and Ready Player One and though they are actually quite different, Erebos would appeal to anyone who did enjoy the latter. It takes place in both reality - present-day London (in the English translation anyway) - and what’s essentially a fantasy roleplaying game. The lines between what’s virtual and reality are blurred, as the game, Erebos, is passed through school and more people become addicted. Erebos effectively captures just how addicted people can get, that necessity to play and just how desperate you can get when you’re unable to. (I’m not a gamer myself but my brother is and if he’s in the midst of a game, I’m not likely to see him much. If he loses internet access when he’s on an MMO, he looks like a lost little puppy.) People who play RPGs would enjoy the gameplay sections, as it reads like any other fantasy game with dark elves, magic, fighting and quests. I did struggle with some of those parts as I’m not interested in those kind of games personally (other than a time when practically everyone in my year at school went on Runescape, I’m more of a Sims and Left 4 Dead kind of girl), but there’s more to Erebos than what meets the eye. What makes the game unique - and quite scary - is just how much it knows about the player and what’s beyond the computer screen. It almost acts as though it has a mind of its own. The idea of an AI knowing who you are and being able to respond personally to everything you say is chilling. Accompanied with the strict rules about secrecy and the tasks the AI sets in the real world, Erebos is actually a nasty piece of work.

While reading, I couldn’t help but ask myself what I’d do in that situation. Would I accept the game? Would I become so addicted? Would I do what I was told just for the sake of some levels or gold? It got me thinking.

Generally, it was a fast-paced and thrilling read. A few of the action game parts were a bit slower and more difficult to get through, but I found myself reading heaps of chapters in one go. However, I’m trying not to use the word ‘disappointed’ but the ending, despite having a big build-up, wasn’t quite as explosive as I expected. Another thing that I didn’t particularly like were the characters - I think the characterization could have been stronger. The protagonists, Nick and Emily, were one-dimensional and I struggled to like or relate to them. I did like minor characters like Victor, but I struggled to understand a lot of other characters, such as Colin. I obviously read the English translation - the book was originally written/published in German - but I can’t speak on its differences. It read smoothly for me, though I’m sure that the German version is going to be the more desirable read.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I sped through it. It’s the type of read that’s fun, fast and thrilling. I’d recommend this book to gamers, fans of the thriller and fantasy/science fiction genres, and anyone who enjoyed books like Ready Player One.

This review is also on my blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Erebos.

January 27, 2014 – Shelved