McKenzie's Reviews > Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

20425614
Jan 27, 2014

bookshelves: favorites
Read 6 times. Last read January 27, 2014.

Oh, man. Why didn't I read this book sooner? Why, oh why, did I pick it up for "idle reading" in the heat of Finals season??
I'm not really sure how to describe this book, except that it's one of those books where you drift around with your eyes unfocused for hours after reading, and you spill a bunch of stuff because you've been well and truly entranced. It's one of those books that you can stare at and squeeze to your chest because the characters, even those that hail from the pits of Hell (especially those) feel like your best mates and the whole book fills you with a kind of existentially ironic warm fuzzy feeling, which I didn't even know was a thing. Laugh-out-loud hilarious, a good read for those who want to stop taking themselves so seriously. The writing was beautiful and I loved the dialogue. In the beginning (haha, Bible pun, haha) it felt like there were WAY TOO MANY characters for my poor feeble mortal mind to juggle, but it pares down into a glorious semblance of sense.
I also have the hugest crush on Aziraphale, bless his soul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

Quotes McKenzie Liked

Terry Pratchett
“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.”
Terry Pratchett, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Terry Pratchett
“Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a treeful of monkeys on nitrous oxide.”

Neil Gaiman
“The future came and went in the mildly discouraging way that futures do.”
Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Terry Pratchett
“Anyway, if you stop tellin' people it's all sorted out afer they're dead, they might try sorting it all out while they're alive. ”

Neil Gaiman
“If you sit down and think about it sensibly, you come up with some very funny ideas. Like: why make people inquisitive, and then put some forbidden fruit where they can see it with a big neon finger flashing on and off saying 'THIS IS IT!'? ... I mean, why do that if you really don't want them to eat it, eh? I mean, maybe you just want to see how it all turns out. Maybe it's all part of a great big ineffable plan. All of it. You, me, him, everything. Some great big test to see if what you've built all works properly, eh? You start thinking: it can't be a great cosmic game of chess, it has to be just very complicated Solitaire.”

Started Reading
January 27, 2014 – Shelved
January 27, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
January 27, 2014 – Finished Reading

Cleo Reading this right now too; it's quite good, though so, so bizarre.

McKenzie Cleo wrote: "Reading this right now too; it's quite good, though so, so bizarre."

IT IS SO HEAVENLY AND DELICIOUS OKAY I CANNOT EVEN HANDLE IT I AM EXPERIENCING SO MANY NEW AND WONDERFUL EMOTIONS RIGHT NOW