Melissa (BookNerdMomo)'s Reviews > The Mime Order

The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon

Read 2 times. Last read February 10, 2017 to February 13, 2017.

Rating: 5/5 ★★★★★
Type: hardcover copy
Release Date: January 27th, 2015

Once again Samantha Shannon has blown me away with her writing. I've just finished The Mime-Order and am feeling sort of speechless at the moment so excuse me if this review is slightly all over the place but wow. I spent the past year anticipating the moment when I could get my hands on this book and dive back into the world Samantha Shannon so vividly painted in The Bone Season and when I thought it couldn't possibly get any better it did. She took the world she built so uniquely in the first book and built on it even more. Looking back now on both books I've noticed that the first book was definitely more of an introduction into the main characters, the main main character Paige's past as well as how Scion came to be as she knew it, and the Rephaim without giving too much away about them. The sequel I felt built more on the workings of the Rephaim and the syndicate. It was kind of like the knowledge of all three came full circle in a lot of ways, but with questions that were still left unanswered for another time to keep the reader wanting more.

I absolutely loved this book! The character development as well as the development of the world in which the books are set was completely on point. I love how strong the main character Paige is, how stubborn, independent, caring, ambitious. Apparently there is a first time for everything because I don't have a single bad thing to say about the main character (so far anyway seeing as how this is only book two of an expected seven book series) and I didn't when I read the first book either. I love how Samantha Shannon paints this horrifically cruel world that has these small bits of a beauty in them. There's something so tragic yet hopeful in the story and it's pulled me in from the first book through now. Not only that but the subtle romance in it is the best because it's there but at the same time it's not. She doesn't go all out with the romance in her books, doesn't shove it in your face. She pretty much just goes here's some forbidden romance for you to fawn over and then moves on to the life or death conflicts going on in the world for the characters. (I must admit, however, that the romance is a favorite part of mine in this story though. Probably because I love Warden a tad too much.) This book kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time and just when I thought I had it figured out I find out that I so didn't. It completely exceeded my expectations. And let me tell you that you're in for one shocker of an ending with a cliffhanger, a revelation, questions unanswered, and wanting the next book now instead of next year when you finish this book. I know that's how I feel right now!

Let me says this, Samantha Shannon is a genius! The world she's created is so unique and the potential for it as the books go on is amazing. I for one am waiting VERY impatiently for the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mime Order.

January 27, 2014 – Shelved