Amy's Reviews > Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex

Bonk by Mary Roach

Jan 06, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: nonfiction, skim-read-til-the-end

I just wrote a whole review of this and had yet to save it, when I had a computer glitch. Grrrr.

Not a bad book, but on the whole, I think I preferred Stiff. Maybe it's because I worked as a pediatric urology nurse and spent a lot of time with patients who had to have their precious little bits put into proper working order? Dunno I am undeniably grateful, however, that I have made it 53 years without having wires attached to my various erogenous zones, sex observed by clinical scientists, or "object retrieval" at the local ER (though I've assisted in a couple of those -- eeeeewwwww!)

Ironically, today's xkcd made a fitting ending to my excursion into the curious coupling of Science and Sex:
xkcd: . I had to laugh when I read the BBC statement, "The elusive erogenous zone said to exist in some women may be a myth, say researchers who have hunted for it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonk.

Started Reading
January 6, 2010 – Shelved
January 6, 2010 – Shelved as: nonfiction
January 6, 2010 – Shelved as: skim-read-til-the-end
January 6, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Bark (new)

Bark Sorry you lost your review. It so frustrating when that happens. This book sounds so clinical. Did it have any of the dry humor of Stiff?

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy There was humor, but somehow humor about death seemed funnier to me than humor about sex. Take a look at some of the other reviews on it, and you'll get a smattering of how it was. I was just too frustrated to rewrite all my quotes and points.