Joe P's Reviews > Faith of the Fallen

Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind

Jan 06, 2010

it was ok
Read in December, 2009

As a fan of the Sword of Truth Series from the beginning, I was very disappointed in Faith of the Fallen. I read the series because I have developed an attachment to characters Richard, Kahlan, Zedd and Cara. I am also a fan of the fantasy genre in general. From Tolkien to Robert E. Howard.While I enjoy Goodkind's writing style and feel he is a great fantasy storyteller, this novel is not a great example. To preface my take on the book, I must point out that Terry Goodkind is a follower of the late Ayn Rand and subscribes to her objectivist philosophy.For the uninitiated Ayn Rand and her pro-business objectivist views gave birth to the modern conservative movement currently synonymous with todays Republican Party. In short Goodkind is a right-wing conservative.Albeit a pretentious one. In Faith he uses our beloved characters to blatantly promote his conservative/objectivist political views. The book seems to be an attempt by Goodkind to recreate Ayn Rand's work almost plagiarizing her book the Fountainhead at one point. His antagonist is the Emperor Jagang leader of the Imperial Order. The Imperial Order represents the vast looming threat to free people by tyranny. As Richard is taken to a large city in the Old World and exposed to the real horros inflicted by the Order upon it's citizens. "Horrors" such as evil labor unions,social welfare and the oppressive government. A corrupt government who denies its people the right t make a profit. Seriously! The reader is actually treated to the Seeker of Truth preaching the glory of the free market and deregulation to oppressed small business owners.Business owners are the city's heroes and saviors. Goodkind paints workers as shiftless layabouts that want free handouts without working.Unions are evil oppressive organizations that will have people thrown in prison if they work too hard.It is absolutely laughable. The city Richard is taken to is a crudely veiled metaphor for the old Soviet Union, and it is really obvious. The imperial Order smacks of Reagan's 'Evil Empire', with Richard and his friends fighting to stem the tide of communism.Sort of turning Richard Rahl into a sword weilding Ronald Reagan ( RR a coincidence?) This book reveals that apparently Goodkind as of 2000 still views communism as a the most dire threat to the American way of life that we face. The book conveys a sense of fear that the the Soviet Union could return anytime, we still need to remain vigilant against a communist takeover. And I am not sure Jagang isn't Goodkind's vision of Bill Clinton. With this book, Goodkind tarnishes his whole series in his emphatic need to spread his pro-business conservative message.I guess with the so-called 'Republican Revolution' in 1994 and the Election of the most cnservative president in our history in George W. Bush in 2000, when Faith was published, the author must've felt the world wanted to hear his right-wing gospel. I still think the first four books in the series are brilliant and am witholding judgement on the books following Faith of the Fallen. But Faith of the Fallen is an abomination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faith of the Fallen.

message 1: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey i'd like to see what you are saying about communist/socialist take over now that it's actually happened.

message 2: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe P Lindsey wrote: "i'd like to see what you are saying about communist/socialist take over now that it's actually happened."

Ah. I see. You are an actual cry-baby right wing conservative.Whenever Democrats win anything you all cry 'COMMIES!!'So of course you throw the terms communist and socialist without actually understanding what either actually is.There is nothing communist or socialist about any aspect of our government.

message 3: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Your statement is idiotic. That is what I am saying

message 4: by Stuart (new)

Stuart To many people using 'commie' et al labels without any real knowledge of the subject. Maybe its a way right wing bigots identify with the mentality that is lauded and propagated by our violent capitalist Plutocracy.

Karl Marx was a most brilliant thinker, and the most basic tenants of Marxism, Socialism, Communism are actually more democratic than the current status quo. It's unfortunate that we have not evolved to this form of societal structure.

Joe, your review is brilliant, I am truly envious of your sagacious command of language.

message 5: by Nathan (new) - added it

Nathan Oh how I wish commenting on a two year old review could possibly matter. It amazes me that, as correctly pointed out, any action that isn't supported by far right wing Republicans is a threat to Democracy. Sad, sad world we live in. If 1/100 of the money spent trying to establish who is right and who is wrong were to instead be spend on caring for our own collective future, there would be less stress on regular people. Those who make the rules do not follow them and have no incentive to do so other than to fill their bank accounts with the funds allowing them to remain separate from everyday life. Sad, true story.