Tara's Reviews > The Devil's Right Hand

Jan 05, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, read-in-2010
Read from January 25 to 26, 2010

Hmm.. I really want to like these books. And I do in a strange way. This book, the 3rd in the Dante Valentine series was a set up for the final books I believe.

We begin sometime after the last book. I think at least 2 years, but I can't really be sure. I guess time is all relative. She's has settled into her life away from almost all the long term characters we had previously met, except for one. The poor guy. Dante once again amazes me with how paranoid and hypocritical a person can be.

This guy, has pledged his life to her and she doubts him at every turn. There is actually almost a whole chapter that she spends figuring out all the paranoid ways she thinks he might have betrayed her. She gets really upset that he's not telling her things but ends up holding back a huge piece of information from him. He clearly longs for words of reassurance from her, that she does indeed love him and not her former lovers. Which I even wonder, because now that he's gone she wears this necklace that he gave her that is made up of his power and blood, and she keeps his old sword on an alter in its own room. I can see how the poor guy might be jealous. Anyway, he fights off hell for her, literally and you think she's finally realized he's one of the good guys, except one of the last things she says about him, makes me think otherwise.

Dante Valentine has a lot of baggage. I get it. She had a crappy childhood and people she loves keep dying. She's holding her best friend at arms length, and her... lover?... mate?... I don't really know what they are, but she is a really bitch to him.

I bet by now you've noticed I've talked a lot about this relationship and not much about the plot. There is a reason for that. I have no idea what the plot really was. I feel after 382 pages, nothing really got resolved. I guess more accurately, I was unsure what was supposed to be resolved. She agrees to work for the devil again for 7 years, but it got so jumbled in the end, I'm not sure anymore what she's supposed to be doing. For that matter, I really don't feel like our narrator has actually changed much at all. Maybe the next book will prove me wrong.

I purchased the entire series after loving the first book, so I'm committed to seeing this through. This book, I liked it better that the first half of book #2 but not as much as the second half of book #2, so I guess that makes it even. 3.5 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Right Hand.

01/25/2010 page 210
01/25/2010 page 304
73.08% "Wow, some people are very irrational." 1 comment
01/25/2010 page 323
77.64% "ok, this chick is seriously paranoid." 5 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by valee (new)

valee This cover is exactly like the new ones of the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison.

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. But I think Saintcrow did it first. ;)