Gloria Bernal's Reviews > Trial by Fire

Trial by Fire by J.A. Jance

Jan 05, 2010

Read in December, 2009

This story is so "today." How can you not love a novel that features a 70-something yr old Nun whose lifeline is her iPhone and knows how to use it to outsmart a bad guy? Even her Bishop is techy. Loved it! In this case, the main victim of attempted murder by arson is a woman, pulled naked and burned over 50% of her body, left to die at the scene, but she doesn't...yet she can't remember anything or talk. I found this part of the book totally engrossing, reading from the burned victim's point of view, her thoughts and feelings, confusion and pain. It was overwhelming to imagine it.

Ali Reynolds is the main protagonist - former newscaster and now on temp assignment to the sheriff of Yavapai County in AZ. in a media relations capacity, and an effective crime sleuth as well. She and Sister Anselm team up to find the identity of the victim and who wanted her dead. I marvel at how many novels Jance has written and how she comes up with so many plot lines. I found this one creative and unpredictable (especially the ending) but most of all thoroughly entertaining, especially the second half. That's my main reason for reading Jance novels, she doesn't usually disappoint me. The protagonist Ali Reynolds, is gutsy, likeable, smart, and has a kind heart, just the kind of woman I like to read about. Loved it! Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trial by Fire.

02/26 marked as: read