Jonathan's Reviews > What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

Jan 05, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: usa-literature, fiction
Read in September, 2014

His writing is beautiful and is similar to Hemingway's. They shared something.

But, I guess, Carver was a modern author, and modern authors always seem to be about certain things, but not other things. I wish more modern authors would be about the other things just as much as the certain things.

Ah well.

Update: So I just learned a new phrase-term, "dirty realism." Yes, I guess that's what this is, but, then again, no, not really. "Dirty" means not clean, fine, but I'm not sure this is the best word for Carver's writing (and authors of his kind). Nor do I think Carver captures reality, really, as it is (maybe his experience of reality, but not objective reality in its fullness).

So on two scores, this is an inappropriate designation.

In my, not so humble, view I think his writing should be termed "hopeless experientialism." Or, perhaps, "apathetic experientalism." Or, maybe, "go-with-the-flow experientalism." Or, and this may be the best one yet, "Melancholic experientalism."

But "dirty realism" is just an unfair way of categorizing his writing. Unfair to him, and unfair to readers the world wide.

Or how about, "Maladjusted experientialism?" I like that one too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.

09/20/2014 marked as: read