Jessica's Reviews > Art of Neighboring

Art of Neighboring by Jay Pathak

Jan 26, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: 2014, e-book, e-book-library

I may actually give this book about 3.5 stars. I appreciated the kick in the kiester.

While the content was basically good and encouraging there were some pacing issues in the book that really kind of grated on my reading nerves. Also the over use of the term "lean in" -- I'm may or may not be a slightly jaded former full-time campus minister that is over buzz word ministry terms. Shoot me now. There are parts that are repetitive that could pare down the book a bit more making this an even more succinct book to encourage us to love our neighbors. While I have generally avoided "how to" books -- this one did not belabor the issue (too much) for hundreds of pages.

I appreciated the encouraging stories, the block map challenge, practical and simple ways to move out and to love our neighbors. I think at time as believers we can try to get out of this by saying our family is our neighbor and we need to work on that. While that is true we still need to be looking to care for the other people that God has placed closest to us in proximity. This book brought some conviction and thoughts on how to move out of my comfort zone.

This could be a quick read individually or could be done in a few weeks with a church group or bible study. Includes a study guide/leader questions in the back. Simple to lead for sure.

Favorite line from book:

"We do not love our neighbors to convert them; we love our neighbors because we are converted."

Amen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Art of Neighboring.

January 26, 2014 – Started Reading