Krystle's Reviews > A Wild Sheep Chase

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

Jan 05, 2010

So this was the last book I had to read for my Modern Japanese Literature class and my first introduction to Murakami’s list of works. It was fascinating, offbeat, and definitely enjoyable.

I loved the prose. It wasn’t laden down with traditional metaphorical images that can usually be seen in Japanese novels, and had a more upbeat, modern tone to it that can easily be connected with. Another cool thing was the lack of names, or what the characters were named in this book. You might think it would be hard to keep track or distinguish who was who but this was never a problem with the book, and we could easily picture them without a need for their names.

There was a surrealist touch that almost bordered on fantasy but not quite when the chase for the sheep began. If you weren’t paying close attention to the clues that were dropped very subtly throughout the story, you might find the plot twist shocking, but even if you were it was pretty neat.

If you wanted to try a more contemporary work with a fast pace by a Japanese novelist, then this would be something I’d suggest. A Wild Sheep Chase is quick, fun, and sprinkled with some deeper thoughts for those of you who like to think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wild Sheep Chase.

message 1: by H (new) - added it