Jodie's Reviews > Heights of Desire

Heights of Desire by Mara White

11942756

liked it

3 Stars for the Story + 5 Stars for HOT + 4 Stars for the writing = Jodie is at a loss what to rate a book is it 3, 4, or 5 I really truly do not know what to label it!!!

"You're the one writing this story, Kate. You just have to decide if it's a story where love triumphs and perseveres. Or is it going to be a tragedy where love ends in broken hearts and destruction? Only you know the outcome."

I don't know what kept me reading this book I was so upset, confused, and angry that several times I stopped and tried to go to bed only to roll over, grab my Kindle and start reading again. HEIGHTS OF DESIRE is one of those books that you should prepare yourself because it will shock you to your core, and leave you shaking your head repeatedly and then cursing out loud that she has to be kidding you because honestly would she really, WTF, OMG, FOR HONEST TO GOD NOW THERE IS A CLIFFHANGER.

"I was always under the impression that people cheated on their spouses because they were seeking something outside of the marriage that was missing."

And that is the question I kept asking myself WHY?!?!? I think that is the true conflict I had WHY Kate was doing this. Kate had everything most women want she was married to a respectable attorney, she had the house, the kids, and to be honest she had a husband who yes, he wasn't there a lot but when he was he adored her and the girls. He gave her everything she wanted. I honestly was struggling with why the hell a gangbanging 22 yr old could even get her attention. Actually I get the attention, I get the spark but truly that's where it ends. Maybe that's what kept me intrigued, the whole thing was dysfunctional. I felt like I was watching a car crash and I couldn't look away for a second because this time I was a reporter at the scene and I wanted all the details. Seriously the whole time reading I was like JODIE WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU and then this other side was like OMG FLIP THE GOD DAMN PAGE WE NEED TO SEE WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. I was having an internal conflict at the hands of Mara White.

HEIGHTS OF DESIRE is truly a novel that will shake you, its a tragic love story, if I had to label it I would say its a modern day twist on Romeo and Juliet. This is not a love story, this is something else but I have no idea what to call it. This book is raw, ugly and as much as I hate typing this you can't help but get completely sucked into the story. And I am sitting here saying but Jodie you gave it three stars why? Well, its because there are parts that are so unrealistic I never understood the husbands forgiveness, he wasn't abusive, he wasn't really anything. Jaylee and Kate I just didn't get it, I didn't get what her attraction to him was, I get instant chemistry but she was a mom, he was a gangbanger her kids should have come first. She had no reason with Jaylee and that was a struggle for me. What I will say is the Mara's writing is flawless she tackled a subject that leaves most livid but she did it with no apologies, she didn't force the reader to feel for Kate. She didn't make Jaylee look like this white knight that could save her, she made him real and maybe that is where my struggle was, in reality would this really happen?

"Nobody would understand that my love for you is my religion you are my Goddess and I would die for you at any time." Anthony "Romeo" Santos from the song Mi Santa

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heights of Desire.

Finished Reading
January 26, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Beth Very well stated, I agree. But I think it deserves 5 stars just for making me squirm SO much. I loved the ride and can't wait to see whats next.

Jodie You know Beth I have gone back and forth with that hence me putting that in my review, a part of me wants to change my stars because Mara had evoked so much emotion out of me and I still am thinking about this book. But I can't say 5 stars because I struggle too much with the husbands response and how he handled it. I have other things I am still working out in my head and I don't want to state for spoiler reason but yep I get the stars and I for one will be taking the ride with book 2 and even though I'm sitting here saying really, really you are reading it? And I'm like hell yeah I have to know things this is not over!!