C.G. Drews's Reviews > I Kill the Mockingbird

I Kill the Mockingbird by Paul Acampora

bookshelves: contemporary, middle-grade, read-2015

Oh this was a gloriously witty, banterful, MOCKING BIRD MURDEROUS, book that I just absolutely adored. It's one of those books within books and seriously, if you geek out over books and authors THEN READ THIS. It was built for you.

It is Middle-Grade (the kids are on the brink of highschool) but I felt like everyone had quite a mature voice. And there's a LOT of sarcasm and witty banter...which I don't often find in MG?! And I wasn't irritated at the characters AT ALL, which just cements this as more of a timeless sort of book.

Obviously it's about To Kill a Mockingbird. These kids want EVERYONE to read TKAM so they, ingeniously, decide to "ban" it. If you make something hard to get then everyone wants it. Reverse psychology. Always works. (You get a cookie if you get that reference.) They don't STEAL the books or anything...they just hide them in bookstores and social media it and the whole thing kind of EXPLODES into this nation wide epidemic of missing TKAM books and everyone wants to read it. Genius.

OH AND THE CHARACTERS WERE GRAND. Did I mention witty banter? WITTY! BANTER! ALERT! There's a threesome of buddies: Lucy (the quite gangly narrator), Elena (the tough spunky one) and Michael (who loves baseball). I don't feel like any of the characters were exceptionally well developed though. I mean, the book is 200-pages. That's NOT a lot of time. I loved who they were, but they didn't change much. And Michael irritated me, seeing he was a TKAM hater and loved baseball. Ugh, baseball. WHO HAS TIME FOR HITTING A BALL WHEN THERE ARE BOOKS TO READ. Although, that saying, this is like one of the only books I've ever read where a character is a booknerd AND likes sport. So kudos to Michael! And Lucy was probably the boringest out of the trio, but I still admired her gumption and it was adorable how she fretted over her parents and tried to make her mum eat salad. OH AND ELENA? She was adorable and small and epic. (If you've read Daughter of Smoke & Bone, think: Zuzana.) She's the one who makes bookshop displays using Halloween bloody axe props.

Basically this book is my new best friend. I hate it in like a BLINK, and I just snortled out loud several times. OH and I enjoyed all the literary references and the famous author references (even more modern ones, like Neil Gaiman!) and I loved the simple friendship of the book (though there's a whiff of potential coupleship) and I loved that it's about books. BOOKS ARE GLORIOUS. Any character who agree is going to be my BFF.

*** EXELLENT QUOTES ****

"People don't feel that way about books anymore," Elena says sadly.
"Some people do," I say.
"Not around here," she replies.
"Elean," I say, "we live around here."
"Lucy," she tells me, "we're weird."

"It's the books that have power," he says, "but a good bookstore will influence what a person chooses to read."

"We're going to be like terrorists," he says.
"We are not terrorists," I tell him. "We're more like literary saboteurs."
"Literary terrorists sounds better," offers Elena.

"But in the book," I say, "the mockingbird is supposed to be a symbol of innocence. That's why it's a sin to kill one."
"Who says it's a symbol of innocence?" asks Mort.
"Teachers," I tell him. "Book reviewers, critics --"
"Wikipedia," Elena calls from behind the window display.

Elena pulls the ax out of the bag, holds it above her head, ad shouts, "I KILL THE MOCKINGBIRD!"
Michael shakes his head. "I am seriously worried about you."

"I'm starting to hate the World Wide Web," I say while we respond to several dozen new twitter messages and facebook notes.
"Is it the ability to communicate easily, directly, and cheaply that you hate?" asks Michael. "Or is it the way that the Internet enables a free and unfettered worldwide exchange of information and ideas that brings you down?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Kill the Mockingbird.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Paul Acampora
“But in the book," I say, "the mockingbird is supposed to be a symbol of innocence. That's why it's a sin to kill one."
"Who says it's a symbol of innocence?" asks Mort.
"Teachers," I tell him. "Book reviewers, critics --"
"Wikipedia," Elena calls from behind the window display.”
Paul Acampora , I Kill the Mockingbird

January 26, 2014 – Shelved
January 26, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 12, 2015 – Started Reading
August 12, 2015 –
page 40
22.73% "AHHHH this book is so nerdily BOOKISH."
August 13, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 13, 2015 – Shelved as: middle-grade
August 13, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
August 13, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Great review!

C.G. Drews Thanks!

message 3: by ClaireEva (new) - added it

ClaireEva So I admit I really should read To Kill a Mockingbird but do you think you need to have read it to enjoy this book fully?

C.G. Drews @ClaireEva: I think you could totally enjoy the book without having read TKAM, although if you had read it first it'd probably mean more (?)