Libro Joven's Reviews > Crazy Beautiful

Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Jan 05, 2010

it was ok

A few months ago, Lucius caused an explosion and lost both his hands. So now he's got to start in a new school while getting used to his new prosthetics.

A few months ago, Aurora's mom died of cancer. So now she's got to start in a new school while mourning her. Why on Earth she's so perky all the time, I simply don't understand. In the first chapter she is depressed and insecure, sure, but, after that, she becomes the embodyment of cheerful perfection. She always has a smile and a nice word for everyone, she never gossips, she never thinks badly of anyone, she is like a walking, breathing pep-talk. Sometimes, I wonder if she is even human.

As a matter of fact, I was expecting something more form this book. But other than a ludricuously idealized female character and a too-shallow relationship between Lucius and Aurora, it doesn't have much else to offer. There are some bullies giving Lucius a bad time, yes, and some reflections about hooks, ghost limbs, and the loss of hands, but I'm sure that the matter of a double amputation could be explored more deeply: it can't be all about bullies, and getting the girl can't possibly be good enough to solve all of the problems of an amputated fifteen-year-old. Somehow, the book feels unfinished.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy Beautiful.

January 5, 2010 – Shelved