Toni FGMAMTC's Reviews > Dirty Angels

Dirty Angels by Karina Halle

19424370

bookshelves: best-2014, dark, favorite-bbf, favorites

I've always liked Javier. If you didn't like Javier and just want to read this book because you think it's more about The Artist Trilogy, it's not and thus may not be for you. As written in the author's message with the blurb and at the in the front of the book, it contains dark elements. It isn't terribly graphic but does hint at unprotected sex, rape, torture, death, blood, etc.

Louisa has always been poor, forever struggling just to make it. She works in a tourist restaurant bar, envious of the vacationing co-eds and dealing with a sexually harassing jerk of a boss. The only bright spot in her life is her parents, a father loosing the battle with Alzheimer's and a blind mother. She once was a beauty queen with opportunities, but now she's just another floundering laborer trying to support her family. One day the biggest drug lord in Mexico, Salvador Reyes, comes into her workplace with his sites set on her. She knows that if she refuses him, she'll probably be killed anyway. And by marrying him, she can afford to take care of her parents and stop working. Next thing you know, she's married and living in hell being beaten, raped and tortured regularly. Her only solace is knowing her parents are being cared for.
I closed my eyes and imagined, just for one moment, what it would be like not to live in fear. To actually feel happiness and love from a man. My heart practically shuddered from the realization that I'd never, ever have that for as long as Salvador Reyes lived.

Javier's goal has always been to climb the leadership ladder in the world of narcotics. In the other series, we saw him rise from 2nd in command to leading a Mexican drug cartel. In this book, we find out that his cartel is not the most powerful so of course he wants to gain more control. He kidnaps Louisa in order to make a trade for jurisdiction over certain drug pipelines.
The wife of the jackal is the greatest card you can play in this game.

Javier's intentions toward Louisa become more hazy as time goes on.
"Why do you want to break me so badly?" she asked quietly, just as my hand went to the doorknob.
I paused and thought about the truth. Without looking back at her I said, "Because I want to destroy beautiful things before they can destroy me."

Although he is not a good man, he is one of the few in his line of work that still lives by a certain honor code.
This is a new Mexico. There is no code among men because there are no men anymore. Only monsters who sit behind their desks and give orders."

Javier has loved before, in his way, but he's never loved anyone equal to his desire to rule the drug trade. He has never found a woman for whom he would want to change nor a woman who would never ask him to change. Is it possible?
The morning light was streaming in through the window, illuminating her like an angel, but a dirty one.

I think this story is amazing, very well written. It's exciting, sexy, dangerous, dirty. I've been waiting on the edge of my seat for more Javier as soon as I heard this book was coming. Dirty Angles is one of my top reads for 2014, and I will definitely read the rest of the series.

Javier has got the biggest sex appeal of almost any character I can recall. The way he talks during a sexy scene so gets to me. Mmmmmm.

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.bl...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty Angels.

January 25, 2014 – Shelved