Jennifer's Reviews > The End of Alice

The End of Alice by A.M. Homes

WARNING: HORROR NOVEL. EVERY PARENTS NIGHTMARE.

I just thought I should make that (the above) very clear.It starts out innocently enough a letter to a prisoner. But then the story evolves into something terrible, horrible. And lots of gruesome. Have I made it clear? This book is about a pedophile. A old one in prison and a new one...free. Your asking why did you read this? I do not know. I thought "oh it is less than 300 pages, it should be a quick read and it will be like a Dateline episode". Well, it was a quick read; once I started this was not something I wanted lingering around. You could have put it down you say. I could have. But I chose not to. The subject (at one point I considered vomiting) is repulsive. It is not something we should look away from. Hide from. Not talk to our children about. IGNORE. It is scary.

(view spoiler)

And it it not a nice clean sanitized Dateline episode. This is raw in your face sexual violence. This folks is the sad reality. It made me think of the documentary I watched on PBS about the camps of pedophiles in the woods in Florida.

One blurb on my book calls this a "love story". The Los Angeles times can FUCK OFF. Love story?! That is not okay. This is absolutely not a love story. Not at all. And if we fool ourselves into thinking that well, I am scared for all of us.

About the book, the writing you ask? I can say it was well done. I am not sure that I would really recommend this anyone I know. I advise to read at your own risk. I have nothing to offer. I feel like bathing in bleach after this one.

And yes. I gave it a high rating. It was thought provoking. Made me want to vomit. Made me want to educate my child better. These are the monsters we should worry about. The ones that walk among us. In order to know them better we cannot ignore them. We owe our children that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Alice.

January 25, 2014 – Shelved
January 25, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 25, 2015 – Started Reading
January 25, 2015 –
0.0% "This is a horror novel. I want to get through this as quick as possible."
January 25, 2015 –
0.0% "I want to vomit. But I can't stop reading. Better to learn about the monsters."
January 26, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline I won't be reading this! Do you remember the name of the documentary you saw on PBS?

Jennifer I could not find it. But I will look again. I want to say Lisa Ling (is that her name?) did it. It was very well done.

message 3: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Ugh. I will pass on this one, I think. Great review, though, Jennifer.

Jennifer Here is the link to the documentary on You Tube.

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Jennifer wrote: "Here is the link to the documentary on You Tube.

Thank you!

message 6: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele terrible, horrible. And lots of gruesome

Ha! Well, that's definitely not for me :P

Jennifer Nope. Not for everyone. I am not sure that it was really for me. But it was eye opening and I was able to have a frank discussion with my son about what is ok and what is not. I think especially since he is a teenager.

Constance You have summed up exactly how I felt about this book. I had to read it quickly, and I felt nauseous more than once while reading it. But I don't think it's a book or subject we can ignore.

Jennifer Thank you Constance.