Athina's Reviews > Dark Places

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Jan 25, 2014

bookshelves: reviewed

I have meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It’s the Day blood. Something’s wrong with it.

How awesome are these opening lines? How can you not want to read this book and this story? When I started reading it, I thought: Okay, it can’t be better than Sharp Objects. Now, I can’t pick a favorite between the two books.

The book is written in multiple POV’s so we get a very good understanding about each character. We start with Libby and even from the start the pace is fast and right to the point. What I didn’t know but I was thrilled to find out, is that we see both future and past. Meaning that one chapter is about Libby in the present, and the next chapter is about her mom, or her brother back in 1985 a few days before the murders. It’s like this until the end. Present, Past, Present and it goes on.

Switching through time builds tension and as the developments unfold, I found myself looking forward for the next chapter, eager to know what happened in January or curious about Libby’s doings today.

Lies, false testimonies, crappy police work and complicated characters. Gillian Flynn ties them all together, leading you to a journey to Libby’s painful past and the ore painful present.

Dark Places is one of those books I wish I could forget, so I could read it all over again. Just to feel the same thrill and excitement of reading it for the first time.

I’m in love with Flynn's books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Places.

January 25, 2014 – Shelved
September 11, 2014 –
page 300
September 12, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 7, 2014 – Shelved as: reviewed

message 1: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Jones That opening line sounds like something straight from your writing, Athina! I'm not much into reading the dark stuff, but when your books arrive, I'm sure you'll change my mind.

Athina Robyn wrote: "That opening line sounds like something straight from your writing, Athina! I'm not much into reading the dark stuff, but when your books arrive, I'm sure you'll change my mind."

I'm flattered, Robyn!You know I have a soft spot for the dark stuff. Actually now I'm writing my darkest novel, the series I've written is not so dark!;)