David Peters's Reviews > Bloodshot

Bloodshot by Stuart MacBride

Jan 04, 2010

Why I read It
I have been reading Stuart MacBride’s blog since before he published his first book thanks to the link on the great Sarah Weinman’s site. Speaking of which, I really need to list the book websites I frequent in the sidebar. If you are interested in mysteries at all, Sarah’s site, Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind, is the greatest blog ever. I can trace about 50% of all I read back to reviews I have seen on her blog.

Anyways I read Stuart’s first book, Cold Granite, when it came out and then over the years I forgot about him – Sorry Stuart if you are prone to googling yourself and read this. Anyways I was looking over my log of books read (a good practice to get into for just this reason) when I remembered him. A short search and I learned he had gone on to publish a book every year and my library system stocked them. So I am just now catching up.

Plus it is good solid Scottish Crime fiction, sad and violent on the one hand and blackly funny on the other. Plus the books are set in Aberdeen letting you know that Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Lock Dubh are not the only place to die a nasty death while on vacation.

What I Thought About It
Good story that just makes you fear Scotland as the crime capitol of the world :-) I like the implied social commentary about fame and its usefulness in getting away with crime. Plus what role do we as family have in helping versus enabling each other in nefarious behaviours? While you can read the books randomly I recommend you start at the beginning to get the overall character development.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodshot.