Amy's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Jan 24, 2014

it was ok

I agree with most of the critical reviews of this book that can all be summed up by this: "too much".

I found the novel too verbose, too intent on details of bands and food and general name-dropping that distract from the story. It had too many scenes and events that add nothing to the overall book and too much telling about characters. Case in point: Henry talking to the "young punks" at the party. Why? To list more bands? What about the kid with the duct tape? When I read a book, I want to draw my own conclusions about the characters and how I feel about them. But this book told me everything about them and left nothing for me to decide. The characters felt drawn on the surface only. I was told Henry was adventurous, but I didn't feel it. I was told they were passionately in love, but all I really saw of that was heaps of sex. Libido does not equal love. We never even saw Henry fall in love with Clare in real-time. They met and blammo: in love. The end result was that I didn't love the characters or even get all that into them myself.

I wanted to give it 3 stars instead of 2 because I think it's a really interesting story and I didn't despise reading it, though I did slog through at times. Maybe 2 1/2 is right. With a good editor, this book could easily be 4 or 5 stars. Good first novel, but, no, not amazing.

January 24, 2014 – Shelved
January 24, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 29, 2014 – Started Reading
January 31, 2014 –
February 19, 2014 –
50.0% "The name-dropping, music and food detail, and verbose descriptions are really distracting. I'm switching to the paperback (from the unabridged audiobook) and I'm hoping I'll like it more. This way I can skim through the blah blah and get to the story. I like the concept of the story and I may even like the characters if Niffenegger would let me form my own opinions instead of telling me everything about them."
March 1, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy I'm having a hard time with this book. I'm 1/3 of the way through and there is nothing compelling me to read on. I don't care about any of the characters.