Kimberly's Reviews > Betty Zane

Betty Zane by Zane Grey

bookshelves: library-book-discussion-group

One of the best things about being in a book club is that you are forced to read books that you wouldn't normally read. Naturally, this means that sometimes you are pleasantly surprised by a particular selection and sometimes the selection is a total dud that completely validates your reasons for never having wanted to pick it up in the first place. The cover on this edition alone would have been enough reason for me to not pick this book up. I know, I know, "Never judge a book by its cover," but seriously, the cover on this book is so off-putting. And, I will say there are some stereotypes throughout Betty Zane, but let's remember that this book was written 110 years ago when people's attitudes and perceptions were different. I was actually impressed that Zane Grey's characterizations weren't more over the top.

So, despite the Native American stereotypes and the melodramatic purple prose, I found this book to be extremely charming. I liked the depictions of early pioneer life. I liked the bits of action and warfare as well as the bits of romance. I really liked the setting because it's so close to home for me. It's so strange to think of Ohio and West Virginia as being the frontier, but there was a time when this land was all wilderness. Before reading this book I would never have picked up a Zane Grey book but now I'd consider reading more of them. Thanks, book club!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betty Zane.

Started Reading