Kelly's Reviews > A Study in Scarlet

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jan 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 19th-century, goth-goth-baby, fiction, brit-lit, heard-not-read, victorian
Read in January, 2010

Who knew that Mormons make the perfect gothic villians? And so long ago! You didn't even have Big Love for inspiration. Bravo, well done you! And any simplicity of plot is totally forgiven for lines like "the scarlet skein of murder runs through the plot of life." You delicious mind, you.

Also, this definitely could have been subtitled The Seduction of Doctor Watson. You can see how Holmes and Watson grow from strangers (where Watson's kind of iffy about sharing rooms with a crazy man) to friends to starting a bromance to last the ages. This is a good one, recommended to anyone who likes watching the characters develop as well as solving the mysteries.

Onwards to the next then!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study in Scarlet.

04/10 marked as: read

message 1: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Urrrgh, I'm wanting to make a comment that will probably smudge some of the enjoyment out of listening to this on your own so I'm keeping my trap shut. I liked this one the best of the novella-length works.

Kelly I appreciate your restraint! You can make the comment soon, I'm pretty positive I'll finish this in a few days!

message 3: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! I've forgotten whatever it was that I was holding back. :) Love the review. It's spot-on.

Kelly Aw man, I was looking forward to the secret! What a tease! Oh well. Thanks, glad you enjoyed. :)

Gwynhwyfar When I first read this story, I was baffled by the jumping round and introductions of Mormons as the evil, secret society. But it was a great story and now we know: Holmes was right. LOVED the addition of an aneurysm as a clue! Check out the BBC's "Sherlock", "A Study in Pink" as a weird adaptation of this story.

Kelly I saw it! It really was good! Like everything about that show.

Gwynhwyfar Kelly wrote: "I saw it! It really was good! Like everything about that show."

It's so well done! And, like the original Holmes stories, keeps surprising the viewer. Now you must see "A Scandal in Belgravia"! It's not fair that we in the U.S. won't get the new season until next year... :*(