Kate's Reviews > Poet of the Appetites: The Lives and Loves of M.F.K. Fisher

Poet of the Appetites by Joan Reardon

Oct 27, 2007

bookshelves: foodwriting
Recommended for: foodies

You would think that reading about the life of a self-absorbed food essayist who spends her time planning summer visits to France and complaining about her magazine assignments would get boring. But I couldn't put it down. MFK Fisher's writing is absorbing (in my opinion) because she makes it so personal; and with this biography, we get even more personal, because the author includes lots and lots of excerpts from her letters -- and she was a big time letter writer.

The only drawback is, after reading the biography, I feel less compelled to read her actual work. First, because the biography shows that she fabricates a lot of stuff, which takes part of the fun out of reading someone's food memoir. And second, because part of the joy in reading her (for me) was trying to piece together her life story from her writings. And now I know her life story, so...But I'm sure I'll still want to explore her writing after a short break.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poet of the Appetites.