Joel Simon's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Jan 03, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult
Read in October, 2012

This book is so well known and so hyped that it is difficult to evaluate it without being influenced by its reputation. Hailed as one of the finest novels of the 20th century and as a groundbreaking new way to tell a story, Catcher in the Rye almost lived up to its reputation. But it fell slightly short in my eyes, because at the end of the day, I just found Holden Caulfield to be too annoying. I definitely have a soft spot for sympathetic characters, and Holden just doesn't fit that bill. At every turn, just when you're about to like him, he either says or does something totally dumb. I know that is probably the whole point, but it only worked for me 90%.

I suspect this is a book that will stick with me for a while, and I will revisit the many interesting points made throughout this book. Certainly, the rambling style of the narrative is worth pondering over. So perhaps it will grow into a 5-star rating in the future. But for now, I am glad I finished the book and can move on to something more gratifying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.