Home Is Where the Wine Is Book Blog's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jan 22, 2014

bookshelves: favorites

Holy Crap on a cracker! Ok well I’m officially ruined the rest of the week. I can’t put enough stars on my screen for the way this book made me feel.

I mean DAMN move over Nicholas Sparks!

Anyway I’m going to try to calm down and give a review. No need for crazy gifs or images to fluff up the review on this one.

Hazel Grace Lancaster is a 16 year old cancer survivor. With lungs that don’t act like lungs she is constantly in need of an portable oxygen tank. With the request of her mother she attends regular support group meetings.  Where she meets Augustus Waters, a 17 year old ex basketball player and amputee.  Their story though tragic is compelling.  You scratch and claw at the pages to get to the next one.  While their love story unfolds….the built up anguish you feel intensifies because this one, like Romeo and Juliet, you know can not end on a good note. So would you fall in love to know that getting hurt is inevitable?

“You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, but you do get to choose who hurts you. I like my choices I hope she likes hers…”

My only complaint, if any, was that I felt the authors writing thought beautiful, was too intellectual for a 16 and 17 year old.  Even for very intelligent ones, they still don’t recite poetry by heart and speak impeccable language.

“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings”…Shakespeare got it all wrong.  This love story proves it.

Ok I lied this picture just seemed so fitting.

Quotes Home Is Where the Wine Is Book Blog Liked

John Green
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars