Fredrik Strömberg's Reviews > Dylan Dog: Vila i frid

Dylan Dog by Paolo Barbato

Jan 22, 2014

bookshelves: format-graphic-novels, genre-crime, genre-humor, language-swedish, origin-italy

I've often read about the Italian comics powerhouse Dylan Dog, but this is actually the first time I've ever read a whole episode. There is high probability that it was not the last, though, as this is the very first edition of a Swedish publisher, who got started just to publish Dylan Dog in Swedish.

The story-line in this book is interesting, not too complicated and not too simplistic as some horror/adventure comics tend to be. There are elements of a longer story, of character development, but there is also a self-contained story that starts and ends in this one book. Reading it feels like looking at a well made TV-series. You enjoy the ride, and want to come back for more.

The art is well above average for a genre comic, with a certain Italian flair to the ink lines that I enjoyed. It's not Hugo Pratt, but Angelo Stano has got a style of his own, and it serves the story well.

Bonus points for a VERY well made Swedish edition. With original cover art by a Swedish comics artist, introduction to the characters, after word about the comic and it's creator, this is clearly a labour of love.

So, after this first foray into the vast universe that is Dylan Dog, I am quite certain that I will come back for more. Oh, and as a long-time fan of Groucho Marx, how can I not enjoy a comic with a supporting character that thinks he is Groucho! Takes me back to the heyday of Dave Sim's Cerebus and the hilarious Lord Julius. Oh well, back to reading.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dylan Dog.

Started Reading
August 3, 2014 – Shelved as: genre-humor
August 3, 2014 – Shelved as: language-swedish
August 3, 2014 – Shelved as: origin-italy

message 1: by New (new)

New Texture I enjoyed DYLAN DOG via the brief run of English-language reprints from Dark Horse starting in 1999. A little Googling alerted me to what I thought was a more recent collection (2009's DYLAN DOG CASEFILES), but no such luck: Apparently Dark Horse simply reprinted their previous translations. Disappointing. (Additionally, "Groucho's" moustache has been erased from these stories and his name changed to "Felix" (!) to accommodate the lawyers.)

Fredrik Strömberg OK, that's... disturbing. I think that if Grouch had been alive, he would have approved of being ´made into a comics character. anyway, looking forward to having more comics in this series in a language I can actually read.