Dαɴιjα's Reviews > Lingering Echoes

Lingering Echoes by Erica Kiefer

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2014, english-original, arc, young-adult

„Having a bad past doesn't make you a bad person, does it?“

Young adult books are not my usual reading material. I've had some bad experience with them, so I usually try to avoid them. But somehow, I wanted to read this one. Still, I proceeded with caution, part of me expecting that something will happen to make me want to throw the book away. I'm happy to report that that did not happen. Of course, I'm certain I would have enjoyed it more if I were younger, but it was a decent read.

I must say that at the very beginning, Allie, the heroine, annoyed me a little bit, but I stopped and remembered myself at her age, and it all made more sense. Plus, to be fair, Allie had reasons to act the way she did. She was dealing with her family (the part of her family that she didn't have the best relationship with), she was in a place filled with bad memories, she was full of guilt because of an accident that had happened there, all of which is a lot for a seventeen-year-old girl to take.

Then he came along. Damien. A handsome boy, a little older than her, and apparently full of secrets of his own, who always appeared unexpectedly by her side. I thought it was a bit strange how Allie trusted him without knowing much about him, except for the awful rumors surrounding him, but it was really sweet how they helped each other overcome their demons.

description

But the thing is Damien's demons came in a form of very bad men, which led them in a dangerous situation. Quite frankly, I could have gone without that part - to me the book would have been perfectly fine if it was solely focused on Allie's troubles. But, okay, there were a lot of parts of the story that could appeal to younger readers, including those I didn't particularly enjoy.

Of all the characters, the one I liked the most was Aaron. He was a friend anyone would want to have. The way he was always helping Allie, even though he had no obligation to do it whatsoever, was pretty remarkable, as was his ability to help mend the relationship between Allie and Nick.

One thing that left me puzzled was the ending. It left me with questions regarding what happens after that. What happens to Allie and Damien? What?

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lingering Echoes.

January 22, 2014 – Shelved
January 22, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 26, 2014 – Started Reading
February 27, 2014 –
25.0% "Hmmm... I have no idea how this will go, which is... good?"
March 3, 2014 –
79.0% "Okay, let's finish this today."
March 3, 2014 – Shelved as: read-in-2014