Joshie's Reviews > The Universe Versus Alex Woods

The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence

11973316

bookshelves: own, 4-star, contemporary

“When I read these books, I no longer felt like I was confined to a very tiny world. I no longer felt housebound and bedbound. Really, I told myself, I was just brainbound. And this was not such a sorry state of affairs. My brain, with a little help from other people's brains, could take me to some pretty interesting places, and create all kinds of wonderful things. Despite its faults, my brain, I decided, was not the worst place in the world to be.”

Both very heartbreaking and heartwarming in places, The Universe Versus Alex Woods have humour, sentimentality, and wit. Further, the characters were complexly built with brilliant and fascinating thought-processes which I found thought-provoking. More than this, the society and its people were seen through the eyes and mind of a refreshingly different protagonist named Alex. There were also well-portrayed unconventional friendships, ordinary friendships, and complicated family relations. Although some chapters could be verbose it significantly portrayed how a friendship could be the most bittersweet, loveliest, life-altering part of this so-called life.

Kurt Vonnegut was also introduced to me by this book. For that, I will forever be indebted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Universe Versus Alex Woods.

January 22, 2014 – Shelved
April 19, 2014 – Started Reading
April 20, 2014 –
page 65
15.97% "hilarious. and. cool."
April 25, 2014 –
page 217
53.32% ""Most people count sheep when they can't sleep, but Barbara Blessed recites π."\n \n I like Extence's humour. And I love how very engaging and thorough this book is."
April 27, 2014 – Finished Reading