Int'l librarian's Reviews > The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract

The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract by Bill James

Jan 02, 2010

bookshelves: sports, grades-7-and-up, non-fiction, grade-7, grade-8, grade-9, grades-11-12, grade-10, favorites

This is my favorite book of all-time. I’ve spent more hours reading this book than any other 10 books combined. I completely wore out my first copy with rereading, and was excited to buy a replacement. It’s my sports Bible.

I love the blurbs about the players, the decade-by-decade league snapshots, and everything to do with how Bill James assesses the value of baseball players and the sport itself.

Bill James isn’t the greatest writer ever – he can fluctuate kind of wildly between hard-nosed critiques and sentimental misgivings. And I’m not sure I appreciate his over-the-top defense of Pete Rose.

But his passion for baseball is never in question. He has some great ideas for how to make the game better. And his formulas, especially Win Shares, are the pioneering standards for how baseball statistics should be valued.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract.

Started Reading
August 23, 2016 – Shelved as: grades-11-12
August 23, 2016 – Shelved as: grade-10
August 21, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites

message 1: by Jef (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jef Cotham I agree. James is far from my favorite writer, but this book is an incredible combination of logic and passion. Some of his writing habits frankly annoy me, but his arguments are uncommonly cogent.