*P's Reviews > Breakaway Hearts

Breakaway Hearts by Crista McHugh

bookshelves: love-this-series, sweet-reads

Breakaway Hearts is McHugh's second book in the Kelly Brother's series. In this story we move on to Ben, the hockey player. He had a hot night of passion and an unexpected connection to a blue haired beauty when he was only 19, but she got away before he could ever get her last name let alone her number. Now 9 years has gone by and so much has changed. Ben, even though recovering from a recent knee injury, is still considered one of the best goalies in the NHL. Imagine his surprise when he comes across the girl he never forgot.

Hailey works for her father in his bar while really working on her ultimate goal--making the Canadian Women's Hockey team. She has to do it, not only for herself but also because of her promise to Zach, her little boy who died the year before. Her plans almost get derailed by the one guy who changed her life so many years before. She despises him because she feels he denied her and because he never acknowledged their son.

As we learn from the story things are not always what they seem and because of that Hailey and Ben get a second shot. We quickly move through their story and it is great how much they inspire each other to move on with their goals. Things are great, but so much has never been said and when Ben feels betrayed by Hailey never telling him about his son, it all begins to unravel.

I really enjoy this series by McHugh. The books make for a quick read, definitely have some heat between the characters, and overall leave you happy at the end. As the story partially revolves around the loss of a child, this one definitely brings out the tears. Adam and Lia from the first story are briefly mentioned in this book, but it definitely can be read as a stand alone. As they are a total of six brothers, I am anticipating at least another four sweet and spicy stories to come.

Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakaway Hearts.

January 21, 2014 – Started Reading
January 21, 2014 – Shelved
January 21, 2014 –
61.0% "Moving quickly. Think it's gonna fall apart soon."
January 22, 2014 – Shelved as: love-this-series