Michelle's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Oct 26, 2007

bookshelves: book-club
Read in February, 2008

I think I liked this one a little better than The Kite Runner -- maybe because it's focused on the women, maybe because it seems more redemptive, more hopeful.

That said, it is just horrific to read about modern Afghanistan. I was shocked by how contemporary these horrors are. At several points during the reading of this book, I had to close it and ponder in amazement. And it certainly made me more grateful to be a free woman and to enjoy so many choices every day, so many possibilities.

Rasheed and many of the other men are utterly contemptible. But Mariam and Laila are wonderfully strong survivors, and they manage to choose happiness, even amidst war, abuse, and oppression.

I love what USA Today had to say about this book:

"Hosseini's writing makes our hearts ache, our stomachs clench and our emotions reel... He tells the saddest of stories in an achingly beautiful prose through stunningly heroic characters whoseo spirits somehow grasp the dimmest rays of hope."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.