Brenda's Reviews > Losing Kate

Losing Kate by Kylie Kaden

Jan 21, 2014

bookshelves: 2014-release, aussie-authors, arc, mystery, net-galley, romance, own-read, read-on-kindle

As Frankie gazed at the huddle of people in her back yard, she felt a little bemused – her little old miner’s cottage which she had bought earlier with the view to renovate had a vacant block at the back, just beyond the rickety fence – this was why the group of people, including the forceful auctioneer were on her property. Her neighbour and best friend, Meg, was treating it as a fun day for her boys – including the popcorn. But quite suddenly Frankie froze in shock; a man from her long ago past had just materialized – her emotions went into overdrive immediately as memories crashed over her.

Thirteen years ago two childhood friends found their lives ripped apart by tragic events – events which occurred at a schoolies weekend on the beach. They had escaped the restrictions of their families finally, and were all set to have a fantastic weekend, drinking, fishing and just being teenagers. Kate and Frankie were best friends; Kate had been in Frankie’s life for only a year, but it felt like she had known her forever. Jack she HAD known forever – since they were little kids they’d been best mates, but as Frankie had matured her feelings for Jack had intensified. But Kate and Jack were an item, so she continually felt like “the third wheel”.

In the beauty of the moonlit night disaster struck. Kate disappeared from the beach where they were all camping; the friends spent the remainder of the night searching frantically, but she seemed to have vanished from the face of the earth. The police were called, the searching began; questions were asked, interrogations were held. But one thing was certain – Kate was nowhere to be found…

All these years later and recently single after kicking out an unfaithful fiancé, Frankie watched the auction come to its conclusion; she realized with a dawning sense of dread that Jack was the final bidder. How would she cope with the man who knew so much about her past – their past – living almost on her doorstep? All the guilt, remorse and pain was resurfacing – were there secrets which would come to light? Would they ever get over losing Kate?

What a great story! A debut from Aussie author Kylie Kaden, I feel confident in saying she is here to stay. The mystery was well done with an authentic twist at the end, also the moving from past to current day worked really well. I have no hesitation in recommending this novel highly.

With thanks to NetGalley for my copy to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing Kate.

January 21, 2014 – Shelved
March 19, 2014 – Shelved as: own-read
March 19, 2014 – Shelved as: read-on-kindle
March 20, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn This is on my TBR list already - good to hear you enjoyed it, Brenda!

Brenda I really enjoyed it Kathryn! I hope you do too:)

Lily Malone So glad you liked it Brenda!

Brenda I certainly did Lily. I also noticed your name in the acknowledgements at the end :)

Lily Malone Brenda wrote: "I certainly did Lily. I also noticed your name in the acknowledgements at the end :)"

I shall start adding "Eagle Eyed" to "Prolific Reader" when I see that lovely pink flower avatar!

Brenda LOL!!

message 7: by Kylie (new) - added it

Kylie Kaden Thanks for the generous review Brenda - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Brenda You're welcome Kylie! I hope your next one won't be too long away:)