Jill's Reviews > My Life as a Fake

My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey

Jan 02, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: aussie-lit

This book was dreadfully slow going for me. It's far too artistically written for my taste. Reminds me somewhat of The Sound and The Fury in its avant-garde stylistics (which drive me nuts!) Then of course we have our token homosexual characters. I'm not sure I really knew what was going on half the time. There are three reasons for this: 1) way too many pronouns to keep track of which one refers to whom; 2) no quotations marks to speak of - just dialogue thrown all over the place, marked only by a new paragraph; 3) I didn't invest too much effort in trying to figure out the deeper meaning of everything, because I didn't really care much about any of the characters. Word is that Carey is a good author, though, so I'm giving another book of his a go, which I hope doesn't try me as much as this one did. One thing I loved was the vocab. There is outstanding vocabulary all over this thing, and it's used in a way that works - not in this way that made Carey appear as though he kept a thesaurus handy. Very few writers can pull this off. Another thing is that it's utterly unpredictable, which is a characteristic very dear to me in literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life as a Fake.