bup's Reviews > Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's

Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison

Jan 02, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, asperger-s-nerds-geeks-etc
Read from January 17 to 21, 2010

I like Robison's unaffected style of writing. It's plain, but effective. He'd probably say that's a result of his logical Aspergian mind. You'll want to read this book because of the guy's life, though. He's lived a lot of fascinating challenges and been in lots of interesting places - it's kind of like if Forrest Gump had been Aspergian instead of stupid. Robison Invented some of the first electronic toys, was a sound technician and special-effects-guitar maker for KISS, is the brother of a famous author - there's more than enough content to make an interesting memoir.

I may not have Asperger's, but I work in software, and have known plenty of John Robisons in my time, and they're great people. I'm more comfortable with them, in fact, than people who socialize easily.

I found it funny that in the foreword, written by Robison's more famous brother, Augusten Burroughs, Burroughs basically takes credit for this book existing. I hated Running With Scissors, and the four page foreword was enough to remind me why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look Me in the Eye.