AWBY's Reviews > Notes from a Blue Bike: The Art of Living Intentionally in a Chaotic World

Notes from a Blue Bike by Tsh Oxenreider

Jan 20, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: goals-this-year, memoir

I would have given this book 2.5 stars if Goodreads allowed halfsies, but I couldn't quite bring myself to give it 3, even though I like Tsh Oxenreider and I have liked other things that she has written (including her two previous books). I have been a fan of her blog for a long time, and definitely appreciated that this was NOT a rehashing of her blog (I hate that about bloggers-turned-authors). Rather it was a memoir and commentary of sorts.

What was unfortunate about this book was the subtitle "The Art of Living Intentionally in a Chaotic World." Because the memoir part was anything BUT that. She describes living overseas and the experiences there and the contrast to American culture. Get that. But then her descriptions of their life are go-go-go as she and her husband juggle the blog as their primary source of income and three small children. It was almost TOO real, as it whisked me away from the "simple living" essence of her blog to a working mom, just like all of us. And maybe that is really their life, but then it makes her blog feel less authentic (whereas before I had ALWAYS read it as very authentic compared to others and thought that she had truly mastered the art of living simply). I was hoping to glean suggestions or insights on living intentionally, because I have always found her writing very inspiring, but instead I found myself reading a book about a woman spinning her wheels like the rest of us - except that she has the freedom and flexibility of self-employment that so many people do not have.

It did remind me that as of late I have found her blog to be more "commercial" - which has happened to many blogs I read. Over the years, as they grow and become real money-makers, some of the blogs I've liked the best have lost that voice and quality which made them unique in the first place. Which is too bad, because I do like Tsh's writing. At one point, she was a person I though I'd like to sit down and have a cup of coffee with. Now after reading this, I'm not so sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes from a Blue Bike.

Alyssa totally agree. the book was a decent memoir and very well written, but I did feel she came off as busy and even kind of snobby :/