Chad's Reviews > The 34-Ton Bat: The Story of Baseball as Told Through Bobbleheads, Cracker Jacks, Jockstraps, Eye Black, and 375 Other Strange and Unforgettable Objects

The 34-Ton Bat by Steve Rushin

M 50x66

I have always been a fan of Rushin's writing style; Rushin had a regular column in S.I. that he left about five years ago and I was as disappointed then as I was excited when he returned as one of the rotation of last page editorial columnists after Rick Reilly went to ESPN.

So, imagine my delight when this combined three of my favorite things: his writing, baseball and history.

It did not disappoint. I love books that rely heavily on careful archival research and take us back to a different time. In the case of this book, the trip is often to an obscure person with an idea. An idea that a tradition-bound sport like baseball didn't even realize that it needed. As often is the case with genius, many of the inventive minds were not appreciated until long after, but Rushin is giving them their proper due.

Even if you are not a fan of baseball, I think you would enjoy this look at the history of American culture that just happens to be through the accouterments of the national pastime.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 34-Ton Bat.

January 20, 2014 – Started Reading