C.G. Drews's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

bookshelves: 5-star, magical-fantasy, read-2015, young-adult, audio-books

"Read Harry Potter!" they said. "It'll be fun!" they said. "Our childhood was built on Harry Potter!" they said.

WELL YOUR CHILDHOODS WERE ALL HORRIBLE. OMG WHAT IS THIS BOOK? WHAT IS THIS MESS I'M IN?? Excuse me, but that large salty lake where my life used to be is my tears. Yes, yes, this means I loved it. But SERIOUSLY. Nooooot okay. At the end there, especially, I couldn't put the audio down so I was wandering about my house in a blind daze listening instead.

And because every human and their fluffy poodle has probably sensibly reviewed this book, BAH. I'm just going to make a list of things I loved and things I didn't.

My Intense And Passionate LOVES:
• Harry + Ginny = yes. I was dubious at first. Like I think romance is NOT JKR's strong point...plus when she gets to a romantic scene she ends the chapter. HHAHAH. ADORABLE. (Not that I minded, I just...I think she's not good at romance.) But omg, there was that moment after the Quidditch match??? YUP. You know what I'm talking about. Excuse me, my heart just ran around in circles screaming and shipping.
• Hermione: I adore her, but...I gotta admit, she was a little bit too stuffy. BUT I STILL LOVE HER. I love her love for learning.
• I also adore how sensible Ginny is.
• Fred and George's joke shop gives life. Also death, probs, but liiiiife.
• I am utterly in LOVE with the whole concept of Hogwarts. I mean, I think it's stupid that they have to write with a quill and ink (can't they just enchant the quill to write for them?) and they seem to get an excessive amount of homework, BUT. It's all so vivid and detailed and it literally feels like Hogwarts is A REAL PLACE. I totally get why people wail about their letters going missing.
• Speaking of detail...me likey. I always felt inside the story.
• Plus the audio book (narrated by Jim Dale) is GREAT. I totally recommend it. I think Hermione's voice had a tendency to sound like an insufferable goat, but I got used to it. Harry's voice was perfection.
• I also particularly liked Harry in this book. I JUST LOVE HARRY. <3 He's snarky, but he's lost some of the angriness from bk 5. He's got snarky quips at the ready, but he's also intensely...good. Like he's just a really GOOD chap, who makes bad decisions but really means well. ZOMG. *flails about* He was definitely my favourite character in this book.
• ALSO DUMBLEDORE WAS GREAT. I love Dumbledore and how he's always polite and kind and smiley. (view spoiler)

My Intense and Passionate LOATHES:
(Hhahahha...you ready for this?)

• Okay so, question: WHY do they sometimes go places and buy food...and sometimes they just magic it? Like Mrs. Weasely magics onion soup out of nothing for Harry. But in the next chapter, Harry and Ron are peeling sprouts. LIKE WUT. This makes no sense to me.
• Why didn't Dumbledore pour the evil potion on the ground instead of drinking it? Just wannna know...
• How the FLYING FRIKKIN BROOMSTICKS can anyone possibly convince me Snape is still on the good side? Because I don't even care. He can go abra kadabra himself to Timbuktu and DIE THERE THANKS. There is no repentance after this. I don't even care what the "reason" is in book 7, but Harry: you are an idiot to name your kid after Snape.
• I HOPE SNAPE DIES.
• DID I MENTION MY HATE FOR SNAPE YET???????
• Oh and another thing...I am so angry at Snape arghhhqqwqq.
• Okay. Good now. I'm calm. Thank you.
• HAHHAHHAHAHTE SNAPE.
• Yes, I truly am calm this time. I'm good.
So. I also am fairly annoyed about Voldermort's (Tom Riddle) backstory. Because he read like he was straight out of a psychopath text book...which I found monstrously unimaginative. Attractive, calm, subtle bully, kleptomaniac, limited emotional reach, charmer, smooth...blah blah. Yes. I can just read a book about psychopaths and that's Voldey's description. I wish there'd been a little more ingenuity in there.
• I really also dislike Ron. I KNOW. Travesty. But he's a bully! He was bullying first year's the whole time...turfing tem off chairs, scaring them, bossing them around, taking stuff off them in the name of "prefect". Like how is that good?? How is that okay??? I will not forgive Ron for all this. And also the fact that he's a downright BRUTE to Hermione. How can I ship them when he's so rude and demeaning to her?? I DON'T. Hermione deserves better. And I don't buy the "She completes him by sorting him out" because I think all humans should take responsibility for their actions. Hermione shouldn't HAVE to force Ron into a better person and be his conscious. AGH.
• Not shipping that. ^^
• Okay, I'm done. But just *whispers* I hate hate hate Snape.

So basically YES, I had a fantastic time with this book. I loved the audio. I loved the story. I loved Harry and the world just feels so big and rich and visual. I get the intense fandom for this I DO GET IT. After being so angry and 1000% done in with book 3, I can successfully say I can't WAIT to read the last book now. And then watch all the movies. And then I'll finally be caught up, omg. Only took me like 10 years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

January 20, 2014 – Shelved
January 20, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
November 5, 2015 – Started Reading
November 5, 2015 –
9.0% "*first chapters are all about dark wizards and evil*\n Next chapter: AND HERE IS HARRY! THE CHOSEN ONE! SNORING AND DROOLING ON THE WINDOW. WE ARE IN SAFE HANDS."
November 8, 2015 –
13.0% "OKAY BUT NOBODY SPEAR ME BUT BUT...buuuut...\n I don't ship Hermione and Ron. Not even a little.\n *hides for ensuing horror*"
November 9, 2015 –
50.0% "Okay, but RON IS A BULLY. He is a horrible bully and I don't see why this is okay?!?! He picks on First Years (he's constantly glowering/scaring/taking things from them/making them give up chairs to him) plus he's super rude to Hermione ALL. THE. TIME. Do not tell me that's love. That's rudeness. And he's self involved and...\n Basically NO TO RON.\n \n *ships Hermione and Harry quietly*"
November 12, 2015 –
65.0% "Otherwise titled: Harry Potter and The Book Where He's Utterly Obsessed With Draco Malfoy."
November 14, 2015 –
70.0% "I TAKE IT ALL BACK. I AM BOARDING THE HARRY/GINNY SHIP AND I AM SAILING TILL DAWN. That was adorable. I was snort-giggling most obscenely in feelsy joy."
November 14, 2015 –
75.0% "Harry: QUieFRRRQ THERE ARE DEAD THINGS IN THE WATER !!!! QJSIQWQGRRRR\n Dumbledore: Oh really? It'll be fine, poppet. Just chill."
November 14, 2015 –
90.0% "EXcuSE Me I'M cRYYYYING. \n OMG.\n Who told me to read this series. WHO TOLD ME.\n I AM NOT OKAY."
November 15, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 15, 2015 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
November 15, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
November 15, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 15, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 19, 2015 – Shelved as: audio-books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)

Christina THANK YOOOOOOOU. Ron seriously rubs me the wrong way.

C.G. Drews @Christina: GOOD. Not just me. *collapses in relief*

Carrie Nobody likes Ron lol

Ashley Elliott We're both reading this series for the first time at the same time. LOVE IT.

message 5: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee I hated Snape too, until Book 7. Just you wait, Cait. Hey that rhymes.

Dawnie I am actually with you in the hate for both Ron and Snape and for me that did not change through the book 7. I actually hated Ron more and did not find the reasons given for Snape and his behavior in any way or form okay. I am waiting until you start 7 and your rants that I hope will come because those are just one of my loves. Is that strange?

Lucia I get your hate for Snape. I was there as well. But wait for next book and for THE twist of all twists ;-)

message 8: by Ritta (new) - added it

Ritta Snape is awful, I agree. Also yes,romance is not JKR's strong suit at all, I thyink it's common knowledge among the HP fans.

message 9: by Ranu (new)

Ranu Haha. I was,like, PRESIDENT of the Snape Hate Club until I read Book 7. I still don't like him, but I definitely don't hate him as much. I hope you read The Deathly Hallows soon because it will DESTROY you (not that, you know, I want you destroyed. Your fabulousness is needed in this world) :P

message 10: by Kara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara Have you heard Stephen Fry's version of the audio books? Absolutely the BEST thing ever. <3

message 11: by Vlora (new)

Vlora I love Ginny! She was so misrepresented in the movie and they stripped away all her cool parts, but she's AWESOME in the books! She was always one of my favorite characters. And just seeing Snape's name mentioned gives me bad feelings. Yes, there's a twist in book 7, but he is SO not the hero people make him out to be. I don't even care about the end of book 6 or what happens in book 7, because he was an asshole WAY before that. I mean it's a bit of a double standard, because I love Draco's character later on (he's a stupid bully too, but I feel like he hopefully he learned from his mistakes?), because I could see him redeeming himself. At least he was still a child, whereas Snape is an ADULT and a TEACHER in a position of power over his students. And you can't say oh no he only bullied Harry because of his trauma induced by Harry's father. Like, just look at how he treats Neville - what has Neville ever done to him other than trying his best!? I was bullied in school too; it's not an excuse for being a jerk as an adult. Also, other readons in book 7, but I don't want to spoil you any more than you've already been spoiled. xD I'm so glad you're loving the books! I totally understand what you mean about Voldemort, I was a little disappointed by that too. And I like Ron, but I see what you mean! He does have a lot of good sides, but it ISN'T okay to bully smaller students.

Iirc, I think the theory behind the food is that you can transform it, but not conjure it out of thin air. So she probably already had the ingredients and everything for the onion soup? I'd have to reread it! Maybe she was making them peel sprouts because she thought some manual labour would do them some good haha. Also, if it was before they were 17, they wouldn't have been allowed to do magic outside of school, so maybe that's why.

Sorry for the long comment; I have a lot of feelings about Harry Potter haha.

Joanne Did I read that right, Cait? You LOVED this book?! Really?! And you cried?! I didn't think you cried at books? I know this sounds awful, BUT THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY! Yaaay, you're kind of like a fan now! And is this is how you reacted to this book, I'm so excited to see how you react to Deathly Hallows! Oooh, you really make me want to re-read!

Shanti This was an awesome reveiw- though I like the fifth book much more, I love how in book #6all the detail she's put in over the last five books begin to culminate. I don't hate Ron... but he does have issues. Same with snape. And book seven really brings it all together. I'm glad you liked it :)

Nitzan Schwarz Is it mean of me to be happy this book ruined you? Because I am :P
Snape... is complicated. Reserve full judgment until the end of bk 7. Yes, he is never truly redeemed, but I actually totally understand Harry naming his son after him (but I seem to be one of the few).
As for Ron, he's got issues (and they multiply before they're solved), but I love him. He's a work in progress and he does fix himself, though Hermione definitely pushes him in the right direction lol These two are actually my first ship ever, since bk 1 when I was about nine! :D

Traci Yes! Ginny is awesome!!! Ron is a jerk but… where would Harry be without him??? Have you seen the movies, Cait??

Olivia SOOOOO glad you loved it in the end! :D

Deyse OMFG LOL laughing so hard at this review

Deyse Deyse wrote: "OMFG LOL laughing so hard at this review"

And about the loathes:
1. I think they can use magic to DO the food but not to magically get the ingredients, like they need to have the ingredients to make a onion soup to actually make that.

2. Because the potion would just be at the same level if someone didn't drink, it was magically something to obliged someone to get weak so it wouldn't get to the horcrux, that was why he needed Harry there, to get the horcrux when he was to weak after drinking the potion.

3. Just read book seven. You will cry probably and everything will make sense. Also he named his kid after Snape because he was one of the bravest wizards of his time not because he was good, there is a difference there.

Aaand about Ron, you will probably want to kill him on book seven (I did and I liked him) but I swear there is some character development is store for him so that may diminish your angryness towards him. Or not.

Happy reading, can't wait to see your reaction to book seven!

message 19: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Ha, I don't know if my emotions were QUITE as strong as yours, but I agree XD

Erica I can't wait to hear how much you hate Snape after book 7 lol

Hannah Heath Lol! I'm with Erica. I felt the same way about Snape until book 7. =D

message 22: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate I. Foley ISN'T THE AUDIO FABULOUS?!?! That's how I read the series for the first time, with the audio and reading along so my six-year-old self could learn how to read big books and not be freaked out by them, and I luuuuurved it. So so much.

But omg just you wait until book 7.

message 23: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Dawnie: haah I'm looking forward to my Snape rants too actually. XD Like I thought I might feel a bit softer towards him since he was bullied -- but there CAN BE NO REASON IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE THAT HE KILLED [INSERT BELOVED CHARACTER HERE] AND IT BE OKAY. NO . NO.NO.

message 24: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ranu: Omg you are just waiting for me to collapse into an even DEEPER PUDDLE OF TEARS. When I have a breakdown I BLAME YOU. XDDX

message 25: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Kara: Oh really?!?! I got told to go for Jim Dale and he was AAAAMAZING. <3 Considering Stephan Fry for Deathly Hallows though because that's the only one my library has. *collapses*

message 26: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Vlora: Pfft, never apologise for awesome comments. xD I know a LOT of spoilers so I know (view spoiler) I think bullying is NEVER okay. Never eeever ever. Particularly when it's someone in a position of authority and they're just flexing their "power" by tyranny. THAT'S EVIL.
Ohhh, that makes kinda sense. Although Dumbledore conjured drinks out of the air when he went to get Harry from the Dursely's??? And he conjured drinks a LOT but then Slughorn had bottles of mead and so did Trawlaney...SO I DON'T EVEN KNOW. I IS CONFUSED.

message 27: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Joanne: I KNOOOOOW RIGHT?!?!? Although, I mean, I cry on the inside, heheh, because I'm so Vulcan. BUT YEAH. OMG I LOVED IT.

@Shanti: So basically I need to read book 7 asap and get to the bottom of all these mysteries right?!? :P

message 28: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Denyse: Ohhh, that makes sense about the food. Except how could Dumbledore just conjure up drinks? Like when he got Harry from the Dursely's, he just conjured mead out of the air.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Don't you even start on Snape!!! Otherwise we can't be friends and we can't talk and that would be very sad...

message 30: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Traci: I haven't seen the movies yet!! GOING TO.

Carrie Wait,
You haven't seen the movies either??!!?!! What planet have you been banished to?!

Someone probably already told you this, and I'm not about to read the zillions of comments, but Dumbledore couldn't have poured the potion on the ground. Against the rules, wouldn't have worked.

And calm down about Snape! You will understand, in time. For now, just try to think of the heartache he has endured. That could ruin anyone.

Tasya Dita hehehe glad you're in an emotional pain like the rest of potterheads after reading this ;) Well about food, there's the rule about magic that it's impossible to create food out of nothing, so yes they cooked every food in the story. And Dumbledore couldn't pour the potion to the ground because it wouldn't worked. And Tom Riddle is cold and blahblahblah because he was supposed to be concieved under love potion influence, which made him heartless (if that does made any sense??)

Just be prepared for more deaths in the next book ;)

message 33: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Carrie: I HAVE BEEN LIVING IN NARNIA!!! I had a fabulous childhood there ;) heheh

@Tasya: YES I HAVE JOINED THE RANKS OF WAILING. How come Dumbledore could always pull drinks out of the air? Like he pulled mead out of the air when he went to the Dursley's house?

message 34: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni (Tea in the Treetops) Nope, Snape didn't get much better for me in book 7. All I got was pity. There are no excuses for the way he treats the children supposedly under his care, even if he is pretending to be a baddy. NOPE.

Ps I thought Harry/Ginny was so cute in the books but SO SO AWKWARD in the films. So there's that to look forward to, haha.

message 35: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally (The Scribbling Sprite) Yay, you LOVED IT!!! Ah, Ginny and Dumbledore and Harry are my faves!! Snape is just ... :P I agree. He was never completely redeemed in my eyes. But just wait. Book 7 will blow your socks off!!

message 36: by Krys (new) - rated it 5 stars

Krys Good to see JKR got to your head to. And it doesn't matter that it's 10 or so years later...Harry Potter is just like money..never late!! Lol

Ok so you probably got your answers already but
1. You can't create food by magic. If you are able to visualize it's source then you can conjure it or bring it to you.

2. The spell cast on the poison potion didn't allow the easy road for the person trying to get to it.

3. Snape isn't good and he knows he isn't good and he wasn't trying to be good. His actions had ulterior motives. Keep that in mind. Next book you will hate him less. Or pity him. Whichever.

I have a 'meh' feeling when it comes to Ron. His actions were definitely for attention and he was a toddler when it comes to Hermione. Picking on a girl because he likes her. For shame!

I agree with all your loathe points and I also disagree because of the unbearable guilt I feel for agreeing with you.

Also VOLDEMORT (cause I aknf afraid to Say his name) = awesome!!

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* I am LOVING your reviews for this series, Cait!

I actually haven't been able to listen to the audio for the final two books (they're always checked out at the library! grrr!) but I LOVE the way Jim Dale reads. (He also reads The Night Circus if you're interested in that.)

message 38: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally (The Scribbling Sprite) ^^He narrates the Night Circus?! That's awesome! I love that book.

message 39: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ashley: YES YES I AM ABSOLUTELY GOING TO TRY HIS NIGHT CIRCUS AJFDKLSAD I AM EXCITED FOR IT

message 40: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally May This is so interesting to watch you read the books for the first time as an adult!! Because I read them as a kid (I was 8 when I first read Half Blood prince) I didn't even pick up on most of what you said, good or bad. If anything I idolised the trio (especially hermione) because they were older than me.
Even as a 9 year old, Snape's twist" in Deathly Hallows made me cry haha! I can't wait to see what you think!

Traci Is everybody still against Draco????

Traci Sorry Cait Grace.

Traci How do you write a frickin review??

message 44: by Chey (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chey FINALLY. Someone who doesn't like Ron or Snape!! They annoy the living daylight outta me

message 45: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Cheyenne: HUZZAH. I shall stand in the Ron/Snape hating corner with you. XD

message 46: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee Neville Longbottom is the biggest badass in the last movie tho. In the book too. x)

message 47: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Wilkinson I hated snap until later but I've always hated Ron and he's never treated Hermione like the lady she was.

Captherine ✪ Haha, this was a really amusing review to read. Don't change.

message 49: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ketti: Why thank you. ;)

Lauma It was never about romance, not that she's bad at that.

« previous 1 3 4